Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner gybes

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 am

Need some help and advice on beginner gybes. I've watched a ton of videos, but they are of people who know how to do them :-?

I'm at the stage where I come into a transition, :
going from weak side, left foot forward-
: bring kite to 1100, touch down, keep speed and switch feet, then turn board and kite at same time around turn. If I time it right and am a bit more aggressive with kite I pop up coming out of turn. I'm not down looping kite.

Going from strong side right foot forward :
Touch down, keep kite 1400, turn kite a bit faster than board, and surface carve board around to toeside, switch feet and lift off.
This turn is faster and can feel foil carrying, but I lose speed toeside and ofter flounder when switching feet.

I definitely need to keep practicing these surface transitions, I don't get flat water like I did yesterday very often, and be a bit more aggressive about keeping higher speed on surface, but wondering what next step is.
(I'm foiling alone, too few of us up here, but growing.) yesterday wishing I had Jonny from Isla Holbox to coach me.

A few questions:
should I be down looping kite? I noticed that best turns I made were when wind was gusting, in lulls kite loses all power as I turn kite overhead, leading to a flounder. Perhaps I should be learning downloop on surface transitions. ( I do them often on surfboard)

If I want to switch feet in flight, before turning, what's the best point of sail, where should I position kite? Same question if I do toeside carve around and now ned to switch from toe to heel in flight.

Any suggestions welcome. important points you learned while learning.
It's pretty difficult, not knowing if I'm on right track and just need more practice, or I'm on wrong track and I'll never get it doing it the way I am trying....

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Re: Beginner gybes

Postby alexrider » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm

I learned a lot from this tutorial.
phpBB [video]

Check also Daniel Leow Youtube (danleo) channel. Good slomo of transitions, especially for tacks.
No need to mention Gunnar; he comes up on top of any tutorial search, and it's deserved.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Ok. Let's break down your list.

: bring kite to 1100, touch down, keep speed and switch feet, then turn board and kite at same time around turn. If I time it right and am a bit more aggressive with kite I pop up coming out of turn. I'm not down looping kite.
Bring the kite up all the way to 12 instead. Turn the board first, then the kite after your board passes though 90 Deg downwind.
Going from strong side right foot forward :
Touch down, keep kite 1400, turn kite a bit faster than board, and surface carve board around to toeside, switch feet and lift off.
This turn is faster and can feel foil carrying, but I lose speed toeside and ofter flounder when switching feet.
Keep the kite at 12. Turn the board first, then the kite.

A few questions:
should I be down looping kite? I noticed that best turns I made were when wind was gusting, in lulls kite loses all power as I turn kite overhead, leading to a flounder. Perhaps I should be learning downloop on surface transitions. ( I do them often on surfboard)
Yes. Downlooping will be better, but only if you are turning the board first. If you start looping the kite before you turn the board you will get a power spike and that will throw you off the board, or you will get a huge loss of power if the kite has already left the power zone as you board faces downwind.
If I want to switch feet in flight, before turning, what's the best point of sail, where should I position kite? Same question if I do toeside carve around and now ned to switch from toe to heel in flight.
Just off the wind is best. Totall upwind or downwind is hard to transition from using a gybe.

And most importantly. You need a decent amount of speed for foiling gybes. Don't try them slow. It is actually more dangerous than doing them fast.

Also check the position of your foil on your board. If your foil is very far forward on the board, the board might be dragging as you touch down, making it much more difficult to control.

--
Gunnar

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I'd keep doing em on the surface with more and more speed and you will fly through them soon enough. Its all about maintaining speed. Eventually you learn that if you have enough speed, you dont really need the kite at all in the transitions and its more about making sure it ends up on the new tack with you. Have had many transitions where my speed is up but the wind is down and the kite begins to fall from the sky as the lines slack, but I make it onto the new tack with enough speed to recover line tension and get the kite sorted. Once you start using really small kites, you can caligraphy that thing all over the place in the span of one transition.

Work at foot switches on a simple reach. That way you can separate the transition carve from the switch and fit them to appropriate spots. The jibe will come faster than the switch, but eventually you can do them both flying and link them into one smooth move. I often still touch down while cresting a wave to switch from toe back to heel side. The heel to toe switch is easier to learn flying.

Unless your racing, then do it like the racers.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks guys. For some reason I cant see video in window using my Android tablet.

Gunnar, if I have kite at 12, turn downwind, the kite loses all power and board speed, leading to flounder. ( pretty light wind) . My guess is I'll have to have much more momentum /speed to do this. And initiate downloop quickly.

Starsky, yes, trying to be safe, so I'll be doing it gradually increasing speed. Even this one session, I ramped up speed. I'm separately switching and turning or vice-versa. I'm not racing and never will. I " race " at work, that's enough.

Don't want to blame my equipment, but I have an extra 15mm spacer plate under my mast plate( so I can mount mast to board with channels). This causes more drag than normal, not sure how much. I'm in the process of making a dedicated foilboard that won't need spacer.

Return to “Hydrofoil”