Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The secret to easier air gibes and tacks?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

The secret to easier air gibes and tacks?

Postby alexrider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:27 pm

I didn't attempt to switch feet whilst flying yet because I am reluctant to replace my single front strap by two straps configured in V.
Would a transverse placement of the front strap help making the transition easy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFDfsxDkh5M

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The secret to easier air gibes and tacks?

Postby borist » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm

It might, however I'm not sure it will allow you to have both feet comfortably side by side as two strap setup does. For me, 2 straps: I can keep switching my feet all day long, single strap: forget it. Why not try strapless if you don't want 2 straps?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm

The person in the video fails to bring the kite high, sheet in to unweight in the harness, and use this moment of weightlessness to switch feet. So instead they play this slow and deliberate foot shuffle game, constantly adjusting to balance the foil while they maneuver their feet.

Good gybes look like magic because you're moving your feet at the exact moment where you're not using them to support your body, the kite is. However you setup your foot straps, until you get this part down your gybes will be sketch.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:51 pm

alexrider wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:27 pm
I didn't attempt to switch feet whilst flying yet because I am reluctant to replace my single front strap by two straps configured in V.
Would a transverse placement of the front strap help making the transition easy?

He is making it much harder then it actually is.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 am

alexrider wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Never seen a transverse placement of front strap before. As someone said before he makes it harder than it really is but there are different technics.

Strap to strap requires high kite and to "hang" onto the kite , strapless you can do your jibes with the kite much lower into the window as you switch both feet simultaneously therefore no need to hang. Practicing foot change on my longboard,, hoping from regular to switch helped a lot.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 am

Strapless is the goal indeed, but I believe the board I'm using at the moment (Zeeko AirWave 5'2) is too narrow for that with my present experience. Never seem a video of that board without straps. Thinking of getting a wider and thinner board designed for that. Or adapt my old Double Agent board.
borist wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm
It might, however I'm not sure it will allow you to have both feet comfortably side by side as two strap setup does. For me, 2 straps: I can keep switching my feet all day long, single strap: forget it. Why not try strapless if you don't want 2 straps?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Tried two straps for the first time earlier this year, it was much easier. Strapless is easier of course :D

With a single front strap, I only ever had just my toes under it. So for a foot change, I'd rotate my foot on on the heel then place the foot straight ahead next to the strap. Then the other foot has space to come forward and under the strap--just.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm

The secret? Well if your talking about anything on foil, its not straps, its speed.

Thinking back to learning to jibe and how timid it all seems in retrospect. Go into anything with a decent head of steam and you have so much more stability and time to sort it out.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm
The secret? Well if your talking about anything on foil, its not straps, its speed.

Thinking back to learning to jibe and how timid it all seems in retrospect. Go into anything with a decent head of steam and you have so much more stability and time to sort it out.
And oh btw, you'll ride out of it with your kite still in the air instead of having it fall behind your head while you're jerking around switching feet during a slow-ass touchdown.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 pm

The secret to foil jibing for me was getting a new foil! My spotz 2 was very pitch sensitive and after a year of trying I still couldn't do it. Bought a new Delta foil and I was just doing it first day out :lol:

Return to “Hydrofoil”