Favorite Beaches: la Ventana and the gorge
Style: Freeride and foiling
Gear: NRG 6,8,10,12,14
Ozone 17
Straplees directional, airush sector, spleen directional and spotz 2 foil
Brand Affiliation: None

weight distribution

Postby windwatcher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 am

I've been kiting a few months now and was riding with my weight even placed on both the back and front foot, with upper body in the middle. Friends of mine that have been kiting longer say the board will be more easily controled with more weight over the front foot. Constantly pushing down to control the balance. They also say another reason for doing this is when you step forward on a jibe and tact the board will remain foiling easier. I 've changed my upper body position, and currently ride with my upper body over the front foot but prefer even weight distribution. More weight on one foot seems to tire me out sooner. Feed back needed Thanks in advance.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Re: weight distribution

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 am

Personal preference to an extent I believe.

I prefer even foot pressure as it makes the transition between twin tip and foil easy. I find that as I go faster, I need more front foot pressure to counteract the extra lift - but at my preferred cruising speed its a fairly neutral stance. I prefer small hip movements like on a balance board as I feel like I'll use less energy cruising along than weight mostly on one leg.

The important thing to take from this is not to ride their boards without adjusting the mast position or you'll find the adjustment to be tricky.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Spend enough time strapless and you'll end up in a pretty balanced stance. Same with surfboards. Probably worth while for those who want to use straps for foiling to go without for a little while to see where their stance settles without the prompts. Get your stance figured out with respect to the foil, then adjust foil placement in the tracks to put you comfortably in the straps. Obviously if you don' have a track system, where you end up strapless is where you want to put your straps.

On a surfboard its my back foot that ends up adjusting on the tail when on a wave or really powered or cruising upwind, on foil, its my front foot that creeps a touch forward when picking up speed off the wind or on a down slope.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:15 pm
Spend enough time strapless and you'll end up in a pretty balanced stance. Same with surfboards. Probably worth while for those who want to use straps for foiling to go without for a little while to see where their stance settles without the prompts. Get your stance figured out with respect to the foil, then adjust foil placement in the tracks to put you comfortably in the straps. Obviously if you don' have a track system, where you end up strapless is where you want to put your straps.

On a surfboard its my back foot that ends up adjusting on the tail when on a wave or really powered or cruising upwind, on foil, its my front foot that creeps a touch forward when picking up speed off the wind or on a down slope.
Like Starsky said, some boards have very specific placement for the foot straps, so you have to move the foil to get your balance right. Others you can move the foot straps but not the foil, some you can move both, and with some you can go to the next level and shim/tune your stabilizer to adjust front foot pressure. Your profile says you have a Spotz2, so this might be pretty easy, just adjust the set-screw on the rear of the fuselage a turn to the right or left and see if that makes it feel any better. What you're describing sounds like it can be tuned out, but if you find yourself turning the screw too much and you're way far away from a "neutral" setting, you should consider moving your foot straps a bit.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:40 pm

windwatcher wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 am
They also say another reason for doing this is when you step forward on a jibe and tact the board will remain foiling easier.
Not in my experience. For me the biggest thing to prevent during foiling jibes is overfoiling, so I don't think moving your straps back would help.

Tacks are the same id say.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am

davesails7 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:40 pm
windwatcher wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 am
They also say another reason for doing this is when you step forward on a jibe and tact the board will remain foiling easier.
Not in my experience. For me the biggest thing to prevent during foiling jibes is overfoiling, so I don't think moving your straps back would help.

Tacks are the same id say.

I don't understand this expression, what is "overfoiling" in this context ? (or any context)
Is it ventilation when the wing comes out "over" the water ?
Or is it the opposite, that you are too much "over" the board with your feet and front foot, that you push down too much so you touch down ?

But agree that stepping forward will not keep you foiling easier in maneuvers/feet switching, on the contrary :wink:

What goes wrong far most often in my experience is you touch down, because weight too much forward even for a splitsecond :o

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am

I don't understand this expression, what is "overfoiling" in this context ? (or any context)
When the foil comes out of the water

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 am
Is it ventilation when the wing comes out "over" the water?
"Overfoiling" as Dave and I use it might be more technically defined as "broaching the front wing," which assigns blame to pilot error more so than the flow dynamics of the fluid around the foil like the word ventilating implies.

phpBB [video]

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks, I get it - so it is a nickname for a rider error when you push the wing out of the water, in this context during a jibe or tack when switching feet :thumb:

8) PF

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm

But we need more excuses - what about stabs trimmed down too much and fuselages that flex?
Personally, my favorite excuse is my too flexible paipo.

Return to “Hydrofoil”