toeside on your weak side

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: toeside on your weak side

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 am

I think it all depends on your origins, if you come from surfing or skateboarding many will most likely develop this awkward way of riding in your strong stance mostly :roll:

If you come from windsurfing or kitesurfing you won't have this bad habit.

Here absolutely no-one ride one stance only, no matter if learning or freeride, it is not just me.

Go out and learn to ride your weak side, meaning ride this side MORE than your strong side for a long time, and suddenly it will click and you have so many more options to do whatever you want now, also way more turns and tricks available, besides being much more relaxed and better for your body, and a better overview :thumb:
You can also jump much higher, as this is extremely hard, in fact I would say dangerous, toeside :naughty:

Of course many or most of us will still have a favourite side for many turns or tricks, but amazingly not always your dominant side :D

Keep practicing your weak side is my recommendation.

8) PF

Pemba
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Postby Pemba » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am

My strong side is my preferred side only for jumping. For all tricks my favourite side, in fact just about my only side, is my weak side...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 am

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 am
Snip...

If we were to get picky about it sailing-wise, a jibe is a turn downwind, a tack is a turn upwind. The switching of feet does not define these turns, as sailboats don't have feet. So why does kiting require a foot switch to use the terms "jibe" or "tack"? Though I think I am out on a limb with this idea. :roll: I hope to learn the "carving upwind turn without foot switch" soon....aka a foiling tack without changing feet. :lol:

You are right, if strictly sailing terms.

But most have been using the term carve/turn when you don't switch feet, and jibe when you do, downwind.

Upwind turn when you don't switch feet, and tack when you do.

This makes it so much easier to communicate using it this way, so have taken over the less useful classic sailing terms, in kitesurfing.

The reason is, that in sailing you always change feet (side in the dinghy or catamaran), and in big keelboats you sometimes never change side but stand in the middle at the wheel.
So here they don't lack this important way of distinguishing between feet switch or not, like in kitesurfing/windsurfing where it is crucial what we mean :thumb:

8) PF

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

Postby Mitaka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:26 am

flyingcamel wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm
i never change my feet and ride 50% heel and toeside. i dont even think i can ride heelside in my weak direction anymore but ill prob change that up soon. unless you are racing, theres no need to really learn it
If you invest some time and learn to ride in your weak stance you will be amazed that your riding in your dominant stance will improve also and really some tricks or moves are easier to do in you weak stance. :o

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Jibe ( gybe is alternative spelling) is turning your stearn ( tail of board) through the wind with stearn to windward, a tack is turning your bow ( nose of board) through the wind with the bow windward.
Doesn't matter where you have your feet. Please refer to skateboard terminology for what switch is : switch is when you are riding with your weak foot forward, irrespective if it's toe or heel side.
Everyone here knows what toe and heelside is in kitesurfing terms.

It's kinda confusing because we are combining sailing, skateboarding and kitesurfing terminology.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Mitaka wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:26 am
flyingcamel wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm
i never change my feet and ride 50% heel and toeside. i dont even think i can ride heelside in my weak direction anymore but ill prob change that up soon. unless you are racing, theres no need to really learn it
If you invest some time and learn to ride in your weak stance you will be amazed that your riding in your dominant stance will improve also and really some tricks or moves are easier to do in you weak stance. :o
i have plenty of tricks and jumps i like to do from toeside and still have more to try, my dominant heelside riding needs no improvement by my standards. my only interest in learning to gybe and ride heelside on my weak side would be to get upwind faster because i like to travel however many places i kite on the hudson river the current can be 3 to 5 kts going in the opposite direction of the wind so loosing the board on a failed gybe could be a costly disaster especially when the wind is 10kts or less

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 pm

For me on SB I do not care which foot is forward.
On TT riding b there is no difference either. I do however jump with more confidence and better results when right foot is forward.
On HF I naturally started out riding both feet forward. Now practising the first jibes....
Do enjoy toeside a lot less than heelside on all types of boards.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Peert wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 pm
On HF I naturally started out riding both feet forward.

seems like a difficult way to ride

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 am

Haha. Yes that's why it took me so long to get up on the foil.
It is pretty handy gybing and tacking....

Return to “Hydrofoil”