Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

toeside on your weak side

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: toeside on your weak side

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:40 pm

What's this "weak side" to which you refer?

:cool:

Pemba
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pemba » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I ride toeside well on my strong side (TT and SB). I can ride toeside on my weak side but badly so. I've thought about improving it because It would come in handy on longer downwinders where you often need to kind of make S-shapes going alternatively heel and toeside.

Mitaka
Medium Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud C5, F-One MITU, KETOS Wave & Wave XL foil + Pocket 107 & 118 foilboard

Postby Mitaka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm
IMO practicing things on both sides as much as I can (not only kiteing) is not only beneficial as a functional move, but it will aid my overall ability as I force my brain and muscle memory. Of course it will "never" be equal, but it can be close.
For example when you play ping-pong and your oponent switch hands...
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
It is also definitely beneficial to your overall health and highly recommended.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm

i never change my feet and ride 50% heel and toeside. i dont even think i can ride heelside in my weak direction anymore but ill prob change that up soon. unless you are racing, theres no need to really learn it

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

flyingcamel wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm
i never change my feet and ride 50% heel and toeside. i dont even think i can ride heelside in my weak direction anymore but ill prob change that up soon. unless you are racing, theres no need to really learn it
Same for me. The two negatives of no switch foiling: 1) in a multi hour session, leg muscles and joints get fatigued without switching stance now and then; 2) upwind toeside is slightly less efficient, so if on a long journey, it would be beneficial to switch feet heelside for max upwind capability.

As for toeside weak side, I am with starsky, haven't really seen a need to learn it. Most wave riders surf in their dominant stance only, don't switch feet while surfing. Switch stance is used for more effective upwind tacking back to the break, which doesn't require toeside. Only place I've wished I could ride toeside switch was early on in crowded maui with a strapped surfboard, needing to turn in a hurry ... in that situation, lack of capability was a real hindrance. But other than that, have never felt the need. Similar for foiling I think.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm
The two negatives of no switch foiling: 1) in a multi hour session, leg muscles and joints get fatigued without switching stance now and then; 2) upwind toeside is slightly less efficient, so if on a long journey, it would be beneficial to switch feet heelside for max upwind capability.
Also, 3) it's really fun to jibe (and tack, I presume, although I'm not there yet) and you miss out on that without switching.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 pm

"In skateboarding, Switch refers to riding the opposite direction than usual, in the opposite stance, and making it look normal. For example, a regular-foot skater riding goofy is riding switch, or a goofy-foot skater riding regularly is riding switch."

This means that in kitesurfing, toeside and heelside, you are riding switch if you are riding in a direction with your weak foot forward.

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 pm

thank you!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 am

junebug wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm
juandesooka wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm
The two negatives of no switch foiling: 1) in a multi hour session, leg muscles and joints get fatigued without switching stance now and then; 2) upwind toeside is slightly less efficient, so if on a long journey, it would be beneficial to switch feet heelside for max upwind capability.
Also, 3) it's really fun to jibe (and tack, I presume, although I'm not there yet) and you miss out on that without switching.
If we were to get picky about it sailing-wise, a jibe is a turn downwind, a tack is a turn upwind. The switching of feet does not define these turns, as sailboats don't have feet. So why does kiting require a foot switch to use the terms "jibe" or "tack"? Though I think I am out on a limb with this idea. :roll: I hope to learn the "carving upwind turn without foot switch" soon....aka a foiling tack without changing feet. :lol:

Anyways, back to topic, I greatly enjoy the turning downwind while foiling, doing toeside/heelside carves in the swells and hopefully eventually playing in surf -- my practice goal is working on making turns as tight as possible and linked as quickly as possible at speed, think carving up and down along a wave face. If this kind of freestyle/wave is your interest, I don't think there's all that much point in learning toeside switch stance. If you're pointed downwind, really doesn't make much difference which foot is front ... so go with dominant foot, like a surfer.

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 am

I can ride both ways, but at this time I'm noticeably worse on my weak side, both in confidence and upwind ability. I find the need to master both to be mostly muscle fatigue and be able to change direction quickly to avoid collision no matter what stance I ride (tight spot and many riders). Never hurts to have all options.
Practice makes perfect.

Return to “Hydrofoil”