How many Hfoilers are in your spot?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, TT, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Catalyst, BRM Cloud C.5, Slingshot foil board, Shinn Monk, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How many Hfoilers are in your spot?

Postby DukeSilver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am
DukeSilver wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 am
Generally it's only me at my most frequent haunt, but occasionally there has been 2 - 3 others out. There are quite a few racers (10-15) who go out at different spots to me. I can often see them training with their foil kites about 1km away but our paths rarely cross. I'm still learning so I stick to the more protected waters of the Swan River in Perth. It's definitely a growing scene here in West Oz.

Yes, it is actually two completely different "species", racefoilers and freestyle/freeride/wavefoilers, got nothing in common but the love for the sport.

Gear is completely different, kites/boards/masts/wings, nothing in common.

Racers ride upwind for miles and miles, and downwind again and practice tacks and jibes.
Freeriders usually keep close to the coast, maybe even waves, and play around together here.

"Once upon a time", we could share going out, but nowadays it does not make sense, even if you start and end up from the same place, you hardly never cross out on the water, and going on a tour along the coast wont make sense either, as the speed is so different that it is not fun :wink:

A bit of a shame it has got like this, but an unevitable development that would have to come of course, so just a fact it is like that :D

Just as different as TT riding and waveriding, where you also hardly never cross, as also completely different gear and different spots required :naughty:

We still use the same forums, as better to be several out eventhough you dont share much, and you quickly learn who race and who freestyle/wave :rollgrin:
Especially in the winter when water close to the freezing point, it is better, a tad safer, to be several out eventhough it can be difficult to spot each other anyways when so far apart :o

8) PF
It's very true what you say. What is nice in my area is that I don't feel there is an us an them "tribal" thing going on between racers and freestyle foilers. The race guys I occasionally meet have been very helpful and friendly despite my beginner equipment and skills. Foiling seems very fraternal compared to other kiting disciplines.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Exactly - despite different gear and riding area we are all best friends and a good "local" atmosphere all over :thumb:

It is good and it might last, because it is not only still a relatively new sport, but we are so few thus we stick together despite the differences.

Also, it is typically a choice whether you go race or freestyle, but most like both worlds and some would even like to do both, it is just not possible :D

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am

"Once upon a time", we could share going out, but nowadays it does not make sense, even if you start and end up from the same place, you hardly never cross out on the water, and going on a tour along the coast wont make sense either, as the speed is so different that it is not fun :wink:
Yeah I'm am the one lonely racer here with the other local racer injured. I try to ride with my other hydrofoil buddies but like you said, it just doesn't work, haha. We're riding next to each other then next thing you know I'm half a mile upwind while they've been messing around on toeside! Its like we are riding on totally different dimensions and only occasionally cross each other's paths for an instant.

Wasn't really like that pre-hydrofoils. Seemed like wakestylers and old school riders and freeriders could all ride in the same flatwater spot and have a good time. Oh well, I guess I have to convince some more people to start racing

a99
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 pm

In Lithuania, at our famous Svencele spot they are very rare guests, but in few cases saw 1-3, but usually no one. In our Baltic sea side last year saw 4 in one day, usualy 0, this year saw only one, also few people i know foiling in our lakes, in general not more i think than around 15-25 Hfoilers in all Lithuania. Still conditions to h ride in our country are good, no rocks, 2-4 m/s wind usually, lot of lakes with very enough deepth in every, nice quite wild seaside. Still, this summer and past was quite cold, we think its regarding global warming :)
Last edited by a99 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Last weekend I was foiling with a friend of mine, otherwise I am usually alone. I bet there are 10ish foilers in the whole country :)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 am

I think I'm the only person who lives local, but we have 2 or 3 regulars who come from Kyoto or Osaka. The racing league here is all riding foils, there's about 30 people. When they descend on spots for the All-Japan Tour, it's chaos :D

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:14 pm

5x Moses
2x Alpine
1x Fone
1x Slingshot

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Rufusz wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm
Last weekend I was foiling with a friend of mine, otherwise I am usually alone. I bet there are 10ish foilers in the whole country :)
that would make another 8, exept the two of us,
on the plus side, we probably know everyone...
:cool2:

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:39 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm

that would make another 8, exept the two of us,
on the plus side, we probably know everyone...
:cool2:
Lol its a small world :)

Btw SW looks promising now if one doesn't mind swimming :)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:40 pm

How many foilers worldwide? And what %age of all riders do they represent?

Return to “Hydrofoil”