Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Immediate fly Water Start

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Immediate fly Water Start

Postby abel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Given that I'm the only Hfoiler in my spot I have to "discover" the riding techniques by my self (aka from vids and the forum). :-?
I trust that most of the Hfoil water start nuances are already in some thread in the forum or in Youtube.
Anyhow, I didn't find tips how to immediate-fly-start.
The other session I did it unintentionally, so during last session I tried to recall\guess how come I did it,
and I think I nailed the details:
During the preparation for the water start, my lower part of the body, including the board, lags about a foot from the upper body and
a fraction of a sec before getting up on the board I swing my legs forward so the CG is a bit backwards from the regular riding spot.

Can anybody ratify/correct/elaborate further?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Immediate fly Water Start

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:41 am

downloop will get you on the foil right away, just loop it with the front hand and point the foil downwind :)
Last edited by jespin4845 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 am

I have looked for videos with a downloop and immediate-fly-start and also have not found any. This would really be helpful in shallow water and light winds.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 am

I like to do it with back hand downloop. Size of the loop depends on how much power is available. I resist lift-off during first half of the downloop (bar out) and "spring" up (bar in) when kite starts going up. Upward direction of the kite helps with instant lift-off. If winds is light I let the kite continue to complete a second loop. You need to be ready to level the foil quickly and speed up as well, otherwise you'll just jump up and crash. Pointing board downwind is helpful to control excess of kite pull, just make sure you have enough depth/open water available downwind. Big wing HF helps of course, but with enough wind it can be done on any foil.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 am

with my foil (hover glide) it just depends how much power you have. unless im really underpowered i cant foil immediately, but in "regular" conditions a downloop or even a hard dive of the kite will do it. i find it works best if i have most of my weight on my back foot so the foil starts flying up, and once you're fully up out of the water, step on your front foot to level it off and get moving forward

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 am

I do it especially if the water depth is too low to ride the foil down : I keep the board at 30-60 degree all along the waterstart up to foiling ; it requires more power (hence loop ot good wind and several sinusoids), pointing upwind directly (in my case not to touch the seabed) which forces you to get your weight on the rear foot and fly directly. Works strapless but a bit more difficult.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 am

Instead of the down loop I sinus the kite around 12, thus heaving enough lift before getting on top of the board (ars almost sticking to the board).
The down loop drives me too much back to the shore (during the on shore wind days).
I suppose that this can be done as long as there are 8-9 k avrg. and 10 knots "gusts" as this is the lowest I can go with a 12m single strut.

I assume that the technique varies with a foil kite.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:58 pm

abel wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 am
heaving enough lift before getting on top of the board
That's a good technique. The downloop works if you're in deep enough water. The basic principle is a really aggressive power stroke with the kite and then pointing the foil straight downwind so that you're in control of ride height and don't ventilate. Most beginners control ride height during the initial stages by sheeting out or moving the kite overhead; this maneuver requires you to control ride height by adjusting line tension by controlling the direction the board is traveling. Once you figure that rhythm out any sufficiently strong initial powerstroke will get you there.

I personally like to oversheet my foil kites to sink them back in the wind window then sheet out to make it pop forward and generate pull to get me going. That's a lot more difficult with my tube kite.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Like mentioned any sufficient initial pull with get you up and out of the water in one shot. but you have to have the board work down pat to do it from all kinds of variable positions and kite movements. The rhythm or cadence of using a loop to pull it off is one of those things that makes it a little easier to learn as a total skill. I loop the kite as soon as the foil is downwind, my feet are on it and its aligns with my centre of gravity. The pace of the loop is what I que off to time the sequence of rolling up to standing and kicking up to flying. As it gets lighter the exact same move gets drawn out the the point your no longer able to get right up on the loop and you need to work the kite to achieve lift off. On small kites in more wind, you don't have to kick, you just do the sequence really quick and find yourself smoking along at level flight.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:32 am

This is the time when using a little edge on the board to load the lines, then carve the board through the water to develop speed at the foil. When you pop up, you should be foiling....

Get it right, you pop right out of the water onto the foil. Acceptable is getting up onto the board with speed, so you're not sinking. Fails can be...painful.

Being powered helps, and a small fast kite is vital IMO. It's like a TT start and you gotta keep the board on it's edge; so it works in shallow water...but...

IIRC one of dylan*'s videos had a line mount shot of him doing just this.

Return to “Hydrofoil”