Immediate fly Water Start

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Immediate fly Water Start

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:27 pm

I dont do it that way. All deep water here, but I don't edge the board any more than usual. Every foil start begins with the board a bit on edge, but its a pretty smooth drop of the foil as you roll up and over top. I try to edge as little as possible. Thats the secret to efficiency. Staying small and tucked so it takes less pull to get you up and over the board. Its more a feeling of going with the kite as it dives. If you stay legs straight in the water it takes loads more power to get up. Get over the foil with the least resistance and then the kite just has to get you moving forward enough to fly. Do it well and both happen pretty much at the same time, but I think my mast needs almost its full depth to do it safely.

The less wind, the more I need to have the board flat. Really light air starts are excellent basic training for the all in one hole shot up to flying. Its just the same move drawn out with less wiggle room for error. I would imagine the majority of foilers just start getting the all in one start with experience rather than needing to work on it specifically.

If its a beach, I still have to drag out to at least chest depth, and time my hole shot for a piece of swell. Dead onshore is tough no matter what and takes a little extra dragging.

Really low volume boards likely help develop the skill. I do a lot of maneuvering of my foil around in the water with just a touch of line tension and my feet. Have done many straight to flight waterstarts where the board is totally submerged, and I am more or less in a squat but already over top of the foil. Dive the kite and it all goes to forward motion getting you to the surface and flying in one shot. With practice you can do it from a variety of positions. Toe side starts are almost easier to get straight up to flying as your line of travel is typically a bit more downwind.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Now you make me think about it, I did on the Foil Fish, I didn't on the Alien Air (impossible to do basically because of the volume) and I can't remember any other board. My Axis foil is due soon, so we'll see.

Tucked up knees is important too, as you say. Carve the board then it was an almost effortless pop straight up onto the foil.

And I was going to say the same about toe-side starts too :D

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm

placing back foot further back helps me to pop up with fast kite move...

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Postby abel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm
+1

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

abel wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm
K-Roy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm
+1
+2. Did it today by accident 2 times.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 pm

I think there's too much over thinking going on. Have a powered kite and fly it aggressively. Boom, job done.

Now if you want to do it in ultra light wind on a foil kite I have a technique you can try.

Do a back stalled pivot turn on the opposite side of the window, unstall and send the kite straight through the powerzone. It gives you a more punchy power spike to zip you up and out of the water than a downloop.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:24 am

The back stall maneuver sounds perfect, would be great if anyone has that in a video. There was a Liquid Force video recently and you get a quick glimpse of what looks like a backstall go.

Return to “Hydrofoil”