A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

slowboat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BRM, Shinn, North, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning in very choppy conditions

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm

I can get going OK but find it very difficult to not go up and down violently in choppy conditions. Any technical pointers appreciated.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Re: Learning in very choppy conditions

Postby abel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm

The chop is high frequency. If you try to ride on its ripple, you'"ll go up and down abruptly as per your experience. Been there.
Follow the swell but ignore the chop. Keep a smooth up/down level line, even if you air a bit.
You"ll fly over the chop or hit it (no big deal); with progress you'll find the correct up and down curving on top of the chop.
Somehow H foiling is all about subtle balanced combined moves.
Now I'm trying to refrain from sudden or hard up/down moves (though gives good mechanical bull practice :) ).

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Keep your altitude low, your board just above the chop. I find if I have too much altitude, my foil is feeling the surface too much.

slowboat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BRM, Shinn, North, Ocean Rodeo

Postby slowboat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Since I have only foiled 4x, I am still using a 24 inch (60 cm) mast. Would a longer mast help with the wind chop? It seems I will just go up and down even more.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm
Since I have only foiled 4x, I am still using a 24 inch (60 cm) mast. Would a longer mast help with the wind chop? It seems I will just go up and down even more.
Yes to the longer mast. But still aim to fly the board just above the water.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:50 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm
Yes, but also no, because it depends on what your technique is.

If you're still riding with the board mostly flat above the water, a longer mast will not help very much more, because the wing is still pretty deep underwater.

Where a longer mast really helps is when you progress to being able to lean back into your heelside edge. You can get much better angles upwind and hold onto more power and speed, but it brings your wingtip closer to the surface. When you go over chop, the wingtip is more likely to breach the surface and cause you to stall and/or fall. With the longer mast, it puts the wing deeper in the water so there is less chance of breaching.

I also learned in pretty choppy conditions and went out a few times in big chop (1 to 1.5m) while still a beginner, it's good practice to ride in a variety of conditions, it just makes you a better rider. Flat water is boring :thumb:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Any technical pointers appreciated.
Fortuna audentes juvat. Speed will help you punch through chop so that it doesn't knock you off balance. It's disconcerting at first, but necessary to stabilize the foil; foils are often times inherently unstable at slow speeds.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:38 pm
slowboat wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Any technical pointers appreciated.
Fortuna audentes juvat. Speed will help you punch through chop so that it doesn't knock you off balance. It's disconcerting at first, but necessary to stabilize the foil; foils are often times inherently unstable at slow speeds.
this is a very good point. if the wave is going in a different direction than you're traveling, and you're going too slow, it can push the foil over... I've had this happen a few times. When you're riding with speed you usually cut through most stuff

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

As mossy said, higher speed helps a lot :thumb: . you get more stability and wings will have less time to react to changes in terrain. Longer mast is great once you stop following surface and start cutting thru the chop instead at stable level as it will minimize the risk of punching out of water on the far end of the wave. Leaning to the side a bit instead of riding flat and cutting chop at angle is helpful as well.
Going fast in challenging situation is against our instincts, we naturally want to slow down, but going slow is just the opposite what works in chop. So you need to conquer your fears and go for it :). Remind yourself to loosen up, so your legs can absorb some of the foil movement. If you are standing up straight with stiff legs, oscillation will get worse.
Smaller wings are less sensitive to chop. There is a big difference how my Spitfire reacts to chop compared to Alpine big wing.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Take your time. Only if you are getting confident in low wind flat conditions then go out in higher winds and chop.
At least this tactics works for me in gusty inland shitty conditions we usually blessed with.

Handling chop will come with foiling mileage :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”