Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Techniques for very light wind

Postby sedluk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am

I seem to find myself in very light wind situations more often that I would like. I am getting better and getting up on the foil and cruising in very light wind but would really like to get better.

I saw the following video and it really captured my imagination. Looks like super light wind and the guy is able to get started. Now and then we will see a video of someone cruising along but this guy also shows how he gets up and how it takes several tries. I notice that he pumps the foil board and loops the kite. Anyone want to guess the wind speed in this video, no whitecaps from what I can tell.

https://vimeo.com/182434763

Do other people find that pumping the foil board helps, for that matter I have seen a guy in a video flying across a lake and only pumping the board and he did not even have a kite. Unfortunately they don't show how he got started.

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Re: Techniques for very light wind

Postby cwood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:27 am

I don't believe that the wind is that light in that video...perhaps more wind aloft. Kite is moving too fast and too jittery to be really light. Sub 10 kts but not sub 7 I would say. I find when really light a loop to get above the board and then another loop to get on the wing works. Be really careful on transitions because if you drop it you are done.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 am

I agree with cwood and dont think the wind is below 7. Moreover it is on a lake where wind in altitude is often higher. However kiting in lower wind is possible and the far end limit will depend on your kite (foil) , HF (large wing), an your weight; Then skills of course ... what I do in hyper light wind :
- line extensions around 30m total length
- one loop backward ; if not enought, one loop frontward ; if not enought , one frontward to get on the board then one backward to accelerate and foil in one go.
- if you have difficulty to be lifted on the board, keep your leg fully bent up to be ON the board then tension the leg slowly.
- if once on the board you have difficulty to reach planning speed, do some pumping with the foil (It should not be necessary if you are light and on a large foilwing

jash999
Rare Poster

Postby jash999 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am

IMO in sub 7 knots, wind direction and currents are crucial to success rate, more so than an extra one or two knots. Video shows side shore wind and 0 current (and flat water which helps).

Anyone trying in 7 knots onshore with a mere 2-3 knot current can tell you it's not that easy. It can be done but the risks are there and you would never make a nice video of it. So location choice is a major factor.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 am

sedluk wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am
I seem to find myself in very light wind situations more often that I would like. I am getting better and getting up on the foil and cruising in very light wind but would really like to get better.

I saw the following video and it really captured my imagination. Looks like super light wind and the guy is able to get started. Now and then we will see a video of someone cruising along but this guy also shows how he gets up and how it takes several tries. I notice that he pumps the foil board and loops the kite. Anyone want to guess the wind speed in this video, no whitecaps from what I can tell.

https://vimeo.com/182434763

Do other people find that pumping the foil board helps, for that matter I have seen a guy in a video flying across a lake and only pumping the board and he did not even have a kite. Unfortunately they don't show how he got started.
A bigger board and with more volume helps, that guy in the video has a really small board, thats the main reason he is struglling to start.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, .5's, D's and few old BWS kites

Slingshot Skim Boards, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn El Stubbo/Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 am

You can see white caps towards the end, but nothing at the start. Super impressive light wind starts!

sedluk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:39 pm

I see lots of cool videos where guys are jumping over mangroves and pretty girls. I don't see many videos of guys struggling to get started in light wind. I seem to find myself in situations more like this too often.

I also noticed what looks like a pocket board and I would have used a bigger kite. It really helped that the wind was side shore and he had lots of room downwind to get started. We know that is not always the case but helpful to see him work it.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:46 pm

You can find here a film I did last year in very marginal wind (very un-professional quality sorry) with one "up-then-down-loop" to waterstart at 4:00 (not perfect at all this one but this is the only I catch on a camera) :
phpBB [video]

I did not had to pump ; my board has only little volume (Ketos skim with 2cm thick) .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm

jash999 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am
IMO in sub 7 knots, wind direction and currents are crucial to success rate, more so than an extra one or two knots. Video shows side shore wind and 0 current (and flat water which helps).

Anyone trying in 7 knots onshore with a mere 2-3 knot current can tell you it's not that easy. It can be done but the risks are there and you would never make a nice video of it. So location choice is a major factor.

Actually no, it can almost not (be done), if we are talking downwind current.

Except if you can ride i 4-5 knots that is, and I dont think (m)any can do that.

Current changes the wind strength when you are in the water or ride on the water, but apart from that it does not matter or change anything whatsoever.

In 7 knots measured wind on land, if you got 3 knots downwind current, your perceived wind will be 4 knots, and if you got upwind 3 knots current it will be 10 knots.
Sidewind 3 knots current and you will ride in 7.6 knots of wind, so it actually helps a bit :D

Current is an easy factor in this respect, much more than the wind as wind can have different gradients and also different quality (ie different power for the same windstrength even with same density)

Also note, that even if no wind at all (zero), you will have 3 knots of wind if 3 knots current when on the water :naughty:

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396514

So one can not say that current means more than the windstrength - it has the very same impact so 1 knot of upwind current is the very same as 1 knot more wind and no current :thumb:

8) PF

jash999
Rare Poster

Postby jash999 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm
jash999 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am

Actually no, it can almost not (be done), if we are talking downwind current.

Except if you can ride i 4-5 knots that is, and I dont think (m)any can do that.

Current changes the wind strength when you are in the water or ride on the water, but apart from that it does not matter or change anything whatsoever.

In 7 knots measured wind on land, if you got 3 knots downwind current, your perceived wind will be 4 knots, and if you got upwind 3 knots current it will be 10 knots.
Sidewind 3 knots current and you will ride in 7.6 knots of wind, so it actually helps a bit :D

Current is an easy factor in this respect, much more than the wind as wind can have different gradients and also different quality (ie different power for the same windstrength even with same density)

Also note, that even if no wind at all (zero), you will have 3 knots of wind if 3 knots current when on the water :naughty:

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2396514

So one can not say that current means more than the windstrength - it has the very same impact so 1 knot of upwind current is the very same as 1 knot more wind and no current :thumb:

8) PF
Sorry Peter I thought it would be obvious that I mean current is only detrimental if it is working against you i.e. in vector direction of wind. I never implied that current is more important than wind strength, just that it is a factor as is the wind direction. My point was just that local conditions are a major factor in sub 7 knots, and current if against you and onshore wind can mean you wont be able to foil even if you could foil at same wind speed in side shore, flat, seemingly non-current water as in the video. So 7 knots can mean very different things.

We are all mainly talking of technique e.g. looping the kite, or board volume or size of the wing or kite size or lines. These all clearly matter but IMO at really low winds the local conditions matter too, sometimes a great deal.

Return to “Hydrofoil”