Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Landing jumps without falling forward

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Landing jumps without falling forward

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Got some good sessions in with the tropical stuff rolling thru lately. I've jumped enough now where I can land all my jumps in a good position to continue on, but half of them I slowly fall forward and I can feel it coming.

I've watched a couple other guys that like to jump and every so often they fall forward into the lead shoulder as well. I'm not trying to land and foil, I just want to stay on the board. I'm thinking more redirect may make it worse, but not sure. I'm thinking that I may need more back foot pressure upon landing??

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Landing jumps without falling forward

Postby edt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 pm

i
Last edited by edt on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

haare
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: snowskite, freestyle
Gear: Pansh A15 12m
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish

Postby haare » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm

I use foil kites that give pretty easy landings but here are my tips:
- You definitely need more aggressive hangling of the kite because of its small size. With hydrofoiling you can get away with very small kites but to actually jump and land so that you can continue foiling you need to be well powered.
- I usually jump only when I am well powered. When I am close to my low end I practice something else like gybes and tacks.
- When I jump I will hold the kite close to 12 very long and only when I start falling down I move it aggressively down. I try to get it down as near powerzone as possible. To get maximum pull forward.
- You need to have good pop to be able to land smoothly. So you need to kill all the forward motion and convert it to lift by popping hard upwind. This makes landings super easy. When I fall my landings, 90% of time the reason is that take off was not good.
- Landing: You need to land so that your front wing touches water first. Immediately after that you put most of your weight (practically as much as you can being still centered) to your back leg. This will slow down decend and if you have moved your kite aggressively enough you can continue foiling without touching water.
- For jumps you need to practise mostly your higher end foil handling. The bigger the kite you can manage in any certain wind condition the better and higher the jumps are.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:21 am

haare wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm
- You need to have good pop to be able to land smoothly. So you need to kill all the forward motion and convert it to lift by popping hard upwind. This makes landings super easy. When I fall my landings, 90% of time the reason is that take off was not good.
- Landing: You need to land so that your front wing touches water first. Immediately after that you put most of your weight (practically as much as you can being still centered) to your back leg. This will slow down decend and if you have moved your kite aggressively enough you can continue foiling without touching water.
Thanks...I did 10 baby jumps today to start the sesh and really focused on what kept me up and it was basically what you just stated. Threw some 20ft/6m jumps in later and landed about 70% of them with a focus on a lot of back foot weight. I tried some frontrolls today and they are completely different than TT frontrolls. I'm losing the board almost everytime b/c I don't have a tail end to push off of to rotate. I rode with a guy that can throw front rolls today and he seems to do the same motion with his TT. I have crazy loose straps and a race foil while my buddy has a free ride foil with tighter straps, but I'm not convinced that is the issue. I'm not sure if anyone is throwing frontrolls, but if so I'd love to hear if you struggled to get the rotation going...I just can't get the rotation without losing my board.

haare
Rare Poster
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish

Postby haare » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 am

6m is very good. Nice progress. I manage about 4-5m. I would need more stable/faster wing to jump higher. I have very low aspect wing now and it is difficult to go fast with it. It gets very unstable. Luckily I have some sword 2 freerace wings comming so the there is no excuses anymore :D

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: North Wam 5,10, Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Postby BOEMIX » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

I also have that problem, some times when landing I get catapulted forward just when touching the water.

The most dificult part for me is to feel when the foil is going to leave the water when popping (My spot is always really choppy) and sometimes I get out of water before than expected with a ton of forward motion and the crash is really hard.

I'm going to take haare's advice next time and try to go more upwind.

Thanks for share, because in my spot I'm the only one that foilboosts seriosly.

haare
Rare Poster
FS Speed 3 15m
FS Speed 15m
FS Split L
Liquid force foil Fish

Postby haare » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am
I also have that problem, some times when landing I get catapulted forward just when touching the water.

The most dificult part for me is to feel when the foil is going to leave the water when popping (My spot is always really choppy) and sometimes I get out of water before than expected with a ton of forward motion and the crash is really hard.

Boemix sounds like you have too much horizontal speed likely because you have not popped well enough.

Tipps for popping:
1) I try to go as high upwind as possible.
2) I try to generate as much speed as I handle. First I pull the bar so that the kite is deep in the window. Then once I go fast enough I push the bar all the way out and turn hard so that the kite shoots up fast.
3) Just before it reaches zenith I turn my board as much upwind as I can. Same time I push hard with my back foot so that the foil shoots up. When kite reaches zenith I pull the bar in.
4) ideally you try to keep the foil as deep as you can before jump.
5) While learning popping you can cheat by turning the kite little over 12 o clock so that it kills the excess speed.

Compared to TT you need to be able to turn upwind with front foot pressure. This you can practice doing S-turns. Try to do S-turns when you are well powered. You only put the pressure to back leg once you want to shoot up.

Ideally for learning you want to have big kite. It is slower so it is harder over steer it. This way you can focuse more to the board and your footwork.

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

B,

I watched Adam Withington's big air video a bunch and he leans hard into his forward hip and lowers the board then explodes up hard with the legs. Then landing he really nails that back leg into the water and also sometimes closes his hips. I've noticed some landings I'm doing that instinctively and it is helping.

Have a look at Adam's video at the explosion at 0:58 and then the landing at 1:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfFAtcRGaQ

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Here's a pic of the dude that lands clean frontrolls here from yesterday....I'm still losing my board and I think it may b/c I'm trying to rotate too aggressively after the pop like a TT. I'm thinking it needs to be slower and more gentle. I've got some funny gopro of it once I look at it where I go into a fun double rotation enjoying the ride back down without my board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”