A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Friction scuffing surfaces

Postby NYKiter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 am

Lots of wings becoming deteriorated over time....begs the question...how long is the life of a foil wing...and when is it time to replace and how does one know? Apparently the industry knows this as many are sold pre-scuffed....

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Friction scuffing surfaces

Postby airsurfer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:11 am

obviously it depends on the material used. for example the g10 on my Spitfire will surely outlast most and can be repaired and reshaped easily... carbon not so much. In practicality though if you're really into foiling the gear will long outlast your desire to ride it as you try new designs and wings etc...

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 am

Surface damage can be repaired easily enough. May not look great, but will work just fine. Structural damage is a different animal. Depending on cause and extent could be repaired or not. If the wing/strut does not seem to have extensive damage but is fatigued to the point that is flexing too much, it is time for a new one.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am

My foil is painted. From time to time when I notice a build up of scratches or chips I give it a fresh coat of paint then sand it smooth. In terms of abrasion and scuffing then I would expect my foil to last forever. Not so sure about fatigue or impact damage.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:07 am

NYKiter wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 am
Lots of wings becoming deteriorated over time....begs the question...how long is the life of a foil wing...and when is it time to replace and how does one know? Apparently the industry knows this as many are sold pre-scuffed....

I dont know the meaning of "pre-scuffed" ?

Are you talking about sanded matte surfaces ?

This is very deliberate as it would have the best performance in terms of low drag and better stall characteristics :thumb:
Difference is often so small and not noticeable, so a glossy surface works just great too, and looks awesome :wink:

So not because the industry has some plan, they (most good brands) simply make the wings as perfect and lasting as possible :D

Regarding carbon wings, I would also except these to last almost forever, even wings used for more than 3 years, being scuffed on the bottom often and having scratches, can just be sanded away usually.
If you get a cut in the leading edge or tip, it can often just be filled with epoxy and thats it, and if a bigger one, use some fibre too.

So agree with OzBungy, they can last forever if they need to, good carbon work does not deteriorate over time, and scratches or dents can easily be fixed, or just let them be - for most riders we wont be able to feel any difference actually :rollgrin:

Of course, if you let your hydrofoil(wing) scuff often in rocky bottoms, it will be worn faster and not last "forever" without relaminating - but this is only when learning it happens so will stop and only happen rare from then.

Many of us append with new wings for different purposes, but not because the first ones are worn :roll:

8) PF

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug 2016
Gear: Drifters, 2016 7, 9, 12

Postby skideeppow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am
My foil is painted. From time to time when I notice a build up of scratches or chips I give it a fresh coat of paint then sand it smooth. In terms of abrasion and scuffing then I would expect my foil to last forever. Not so sure about fatigue or impact damage.
I have the Ghost Whisperer and have the 545 wings. I have some cosmetic scratches on them.
What grit sandpaper do you use to get rid of them.. Do you use anything else to make thos scuffs go away?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Everything you need to know about tuning up a hydrofoil:

http://www.deltahydrofoil.com/pro-tips.html

Return to “Hydrofoil”