Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wave kite foiling - preferred mast length

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Brand Affiliation: None

Wave kite foiling - preferred mast length

Postby liv2surf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:20 pm

There is a KF thread about kite foiling in waves with GoFoil and Takuma foils, both with shorter masts.

I can imagine that a shorter mast allows kiting in closer to shore and over reef in smaller surf and being closer to the wave face, while longer mast will help in clearing big swell and chop.

Curious others' preferences and thoughts regarding MAST LENGTH for riding waves.

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old

Re: Wave kite foiling - preferred mast length

Postby Blackrat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Kiting with a surf/sup foil is great fun , but the short mast is the most annoying thing ever as you can't really lean over without venting a tip

Ideally you need a 900mm or more mast IMO

slingslut
Medium Poster

Postby slingslut » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:00 am

I ride a 30''(76.2cm) mast all the time as I find it way more manoeuvrable in waves and carving open water than the longer mast. Also way easier for shallow water take offs etc... Don't have to many issues with cavitation although obviously you need to watch your height. On a SS Hoverglide. Interested to here others comments on mast length.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:40 am

To summarize the two responses and add my interpretation (and a bit of my own experience): Interesting that both things are probably true, short mast apparently is more maneuverable and better for starting or riding into shallows but long mast is better for accommodating the z-height change problem (from riding through big swells and sloped wave faces). Hmmm, what to do. I currently have a 90 cm and a 45 cm mast. Am intrigued to try the 65-70 cm length. Maybe I take my 40 cm out in the waves for an exaggerated test (and won't it be interesting if I like it).

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am

These super thick SUP wings are more forgiving of breaches, so the short mast isn't as much of an issue as you might think.

Mine feels like it auto resets after a breach. No crashes.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby liv2surf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:00 am

Dwight wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am
These super thick SUP wings are more forgiving of breaches, so the short mast isn't as much of an issue as you might think.

Mine feels like it auto resets after a breach. No crashes.
Good point. Yes, I am on low aspect (Liquid Force wings) and I concur. Friends who have switched to higher performance, higher aspect wings have described one of the most noticable things is how intolerant they are to "breaches", how quickly and invariably you drop.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:26 am

I've been using the standard 65cm Takuma mast at first it was a bit of an adjustment from my 90 and 102cm mast foils. There are definitely some days where I wonder if a longer mast like 75 or 80cm would be better. There are trade offs for sure. It's great not to worry about hitting the reef or sand bars. The foil is so much more maneuverable with a short mast. The biggest adjustment for me is coming out of a bottom turn with some speed I really have to concentrate not to breach the front wing. A kite that's stable when fully de powered and sheeted out helps a lot.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 am

I have 90com and wont more. I don't know about other locations but when I have decent surf its chop on swell and its freaken hard not to vent a wing in those conditions. Also if you want to attempt tighter carves on and around the wave face you want to lean it over can crank into the turns. longer is better for that to prevent breaches.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 am

I've got a 100 cm and a medium 92 cm, apart from a short one 83 cm, the latter only used for superlight onshore winds.

I use the 92 in small waves and lighter wind, with a big wavewing, works just fine.

As soon as there is more wind and smaller kites say 4-5-6 m2 used (from around 16-18 knots) I prefer the 100 cm and a smaller wavewing, here the big slower ones (eventhough they turn fast) and shorter mast is not my liking.

Touching down is not the issue, and as said before, this must NOT happen, feels like everything is lost when it happens, no matter if ventilation or you dive the board by accident, or touch the top of a chop wave - AAAARGH it feels lousy :(

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 pm

I think my LF was down to about 82cm by the time I finished chopping bits off, and it was getting too short. I rode a 60cm in flat water and kept venting tips or touching rails in transitions. Couldn't lean it over hardly at all.

The other problem is "dropping in" on a wave . . . short mast or mistiming it makes for some horrendous pile ups!

Return to “Hydrofoil”