Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


User avatar
palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Palm Beach
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, Tona, Slingshot Ghostwhisperer
Brand Affiliation: None

Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby palmbeacher » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/spor ... alley.html

Great exposure for foiling, but of course Silicon Valley wouldn't be Silicon Valley if they didn't claim to have invented and owning the sport..

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 35677
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Nice article!

6000 usd for a foil? That's crazy! But amazing how much one can make being exclusive!

User avatar
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby NYKiter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 am

"$6,000 each. In total, he estimates he has sold 110 foils, and has 50 in construction. This year, the demand skyrocketed. He said hundreds are on a waiting list."

Really?

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 am

Never believe anything u hear in the news most of it is made up crap to complete the holes in the original story or just made up crap to make the story more exciting.



NYKiter wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 am
"$6,000 each. In total, he estimates he has sold 110 foils, and has 50 in construction. This year, the demand skyrocketed. He said hundreds are on a waiting list."

Really?

User avatar
palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Palm Beach
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, Tona, Slingshot Ghostwhisperer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 am

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 am
Never believe anything u hear in the news most of it is made up crap to complete the holes in the original story or just made up crap to make the story more exciting.



NYKiter wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 am
"$6,000 each. In total, he estimates he has sold 110 foils, and has 50 in construction. This year, the demand skyrocketed. He said hundreds are on a waiting list."

Really?
It's Mike Labs foils, and yes his foils are in demand...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby TomW » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Of course they left out all the dudes on recreational foils, regular enthusiasts that are out there for fun on a budget. It would cloud the message that the journalist had crafted for the editor.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Would the NYT get off our nuts and stop trying to make kiting the golf of the techworld. This is the second article where they are trying to tie kiting and tech together.

Kiting doesn't need a huge increase of growth, and it doesn't need to be "discovered" by all the #techiescum who gentrified the bay area. You also don't need tons of newbs on foils either.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8027
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm
Would the NYT get off our nuts and stop trying to make kiting the golf of the techworld. This is the second article where they are trying to tie kiting and tech together.

Kiting doesn't need a huge increase of growth, and it doesn't need to be "discovered" by all the #techiescum who gentrified the bay area. You also don't need tons of newbs on foils either.

I think this is very individual and local....

Around here it is difficult NOT to be alone out there, so would appreciate a lot more kitesurfers, of all kinds, as so much more fun then :thumb:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby TomW » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm still foiling alone. There's a 3-4 guys I know foiling here at my local spots, a crew of 2-3 an hour north, another crew of 3-4 an additional hour north. I never seem to be able to go out at same time as them.

Last session I was out at a regular spot with 20 or so kiters along a few km of beach. I'm out there foiling alone. Previous 2 sessions at same spot in light wind so only one out.

People are curious, but I don't see any new foilers since March, nor are they on local fb groups looking for spots or advice.

Demographic is mixed, social economic scale varied, as usual in Sweden.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 am

Looks like Adam over at Gizmodo once got his ice cream cone stolen by a big bad foiler...

http://gizmodo.com/rich-tech-bros-have- ... 1798150804
Last edited by NorCalNomad on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: spork and 9 guests