Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


Bletti
Frequent Poster
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 am
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby Bletti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am

"Montague’s jetfoil goes to market this spring, selling for around $5,000. His competition is the Lift eFoil, which costs $12,000 and will ship in September (with a five-month waiting list)."

That's the most interesting part of the news. It's good to see Montague is undercutting lift so much. Will be good to see the finished product as he's been rather secretive.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby TomW » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 am

What you are seeing in action is how journalism and instantaneous publishing can warp the reamity. Yes , some of the foiling community is as described, but it's not the full picture. But it's a picture that sticks, it's simple, and people want to believe it.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5461
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:26 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 am
What you are seeing in action is how journalism and instantaneous publishing can warp the reamity. Yes , some of the foiling community is as described, but it's not the full picture. But it's a picture that sticks, it's simple, and people want to believe it.
Yes but why is foiling or even yachting "obnoxious"?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby TomW » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Kami,
To be fair, the NY times article is just not reporting the true picture of the demographic, I think it's because it's not as catchy a story and people want to believe that angle. It's shoddy journalism.
The Gizmodo story is trash journalism, one journalist trashing the other journalist. Along the way he builds on the skewed demographic and false information that foiling is expensive, starting to perpetuate a incorrect picture. Someone should call them out, but their audience doesn't care. Click bait rules.

I've indirectly been a victim of this kind of journalism in my career. Journalists spreading falsehoods and skewed information about a company I worked for and products I designed to fulfill a preconceived agenda to sell news. I even went so far in that case to give interviews and provide the real story, but it was too complicated to be a catchy story, and contradicts the preconceived notion.

And if any journalists are out there paying attention:
The true story is that around the world there are young and old, formally educated and life educated people, low income and high income people doing foiling . I could give some examples of the few people up here.
And the cost is not that high compared to other sports of similar nature.
It's much much cheaper than yachting, or even small boat sailing. Look at what a good downhill mtb or racing bike costs, etc etc.
This is a boring story. There's no " angle " to it.

Rant over.

User avatar
deniska
Frequent Poster
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Bletti wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am
"Montague’s jetfoil goes to market this spring, selling for around $5,000. His competition is the Lift eFoil, which costs $12,000 and will ship in September (with a five-month waiting list)."

That's the most interesting part of the news. It's good to see Montague is undercutting lift so much. Will be good to see the finished product as he's been rather secretive.
secretive? let me google it for you ;-) :
http://www.jetfoiler.com/

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 am
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling, a Pastime Worthy of Silicon Valley - NYT article

Postby Bletti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 am

deniska wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm
Bletti wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am
"Montague’s jetfoil goes to market this spring, selling for around $5,000. His competition is the Lift eFoil, which costs $12,000 and will ship in September (with a five-month waiting list)."

That's the most interesting part of the news. It's good to see Montague is undercutting lift so much. Will be good to see the finished product as he's been rather secretive.
secretive? let me google it for you ;-) :
http://www.jetfoiler.com/
Please show me a decent picture of what's under the water line? Google does shit for that :lol:


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron