pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

1st session thoughts (book version)

Postby pj sofine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:30 am

Finally got out for 1st time.Wind 12-16 kts when I started.Wasnt sure what to rig? Went with 10 rpm(I know) Foil was hoverglide and I figured I'm nothing special so I rode the 15" taxi mast.I ran single front loose footstrap.My wife thought after 1st run I would come in and give up,I was laughing as my board was behaving like a drunk porpoise! Within 5 minutes I was able to ride similar to a surfboard but able to stay upwind of all the other kiters just slogging around.Some things I noticed
1.Been kiting for 17 years,the worry about kite control while getting into start position was a non issue.So others need not worry if you know what your doing with kite.
2.single front strap was fine.Cant imagine having rear foot in a strap(at this point).I spent time constantly moving foot to find right position,which changed depending what I was trying to do.Amazing how subtle changes made huge difference.
3.Spent 2 hours just getting used to board,getting in position to waterstart without cutting my bare legs on foil.I would just let kite sit a 12,grab opposite rail with back hand and use arm to bring board into position and place foot into strap and away I'd go.
4.There's no describing the feeling of getting up on the foil,even with short mast it felt like I was 5 ' above surface!
5.Even though taxi mast isn't meant to foil on I was able to get some rides of couple hundred feet.I think the fact that there's no room for error helped me try to keep board at right height with small adjustments.Cavitation is an interesting thing lol
6.Went to 24" mast and had some decent rides but things weren't going to well,went in and a shop owner I know said,"didn't you notice the wind pickup?" No ,I had no experience with how the wind was supposed to feel,jumped on my twintip and was fully powered,wind was 19, gusting 28,that explained things.Friend said a 5mtr woul have been good.
7.Tried a couple turns,gave up and would just stop,switch directions.Time for that in future
8. It was very choppy.I took this negative and just motored on,always good to learn in bad conditions,will make those good conditions seem like heaven.
9.Gybing ,tacking, riding a 36" mast seems so out of reach at this time.I seriously wonder if it is even possible!
10.It is really quiet when you get up on the foil!
11. The board has auto pilot when you fall off.Weird how it straightens out and motors right down wind,comes in handy when you're down wind.
Looking forward to a nice steady day with no chop! :thumb:

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Re: 1st session thoughts (book version)

Postby alexrider » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am

Great post PJ. :thumb:
I would have gone straight to 24" or even 36" mast. Others are going to dispute that. :naughty:

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:33 am

Good progress for first round. I think a loose board comes downwind like an obedient blind dog.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:29 pm

nice session!
Haven't really gone in heavy chop but with 36inch mast once you get up you won't really feel the chop unless there is some heavy swell or current.
But yes I agree, my first session had some small chop/swell and it really threw me off when it was hitting foil.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:30 am

Funny how we can jump a twintip to double digit meter height but when the foil pops up a foot or to you duck to avoid low flying aircraft!

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 am

pj,

Killer first go! Was kinda hoping to read about some carnage similar to my first shit show :naughty: Just throw the long mast on there and get after it! Chop won't matter when you have 36" of breathing room.

As long as you have your knees kicked slightly forward and flexed knees your board should foil up on it's own or it will tell you when it's time to just love tap the back foot to engage the foil or use a small chop/wave to engage foiling. Once that foil has engaged whether you love tap the back foot or use a wave, make sure those legs are slightly pushed forward and flexed so you can immediately hold your height and/or change it at any time. You will learn to stand tall with less knee flex once you are a few sessions into long foils. I was so happy when I learned to ride chilled out with taller legs to take breaks. My first 3 sessions 100% foiling about killed my quads b/c I didn't know how to ride taller and relaxed.

Oh and wait until you do your first solid downwind foiling tack....absolutely everything goes deathly silent except you will hear a slight trickle from the water coming off your mast. It's the silence and slight trickle of water you'd want to hear when you are going to bed. So cool :cool2:

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 am

progress,2nd session.got a 2 hrs on the 24" mast.Got some good rides,only crashed a couple of times.Very wavy,good practice keeping foil at right height.Still no turns.Found out my week side is right foot forward.Should I be trying to ride toeside ? I was on a 10mtr (225lbs),our liteweight(140lbs) local was on a 15mtr on tt and surfboard. ! Kite was falling out of sky at times,but as long as I sined it I could get going,very strange! Not having any fun yet but I'm getting there.This is a very complicated deal.! Wind tomorrow,moving up to 30" mast. For all newbies,I think 5-6 hrs you can at least be foiling in a straight line !

Return to “Hydrofoil”