North Neos for hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Adolfo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

North Neos for hydrofoiling

Postby Adolfo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Can anybody please help me shearing his experience with North Neos for hydrofoiling?
My kiting right now is about 50% freeride foiling / 40% surf / < 10% TT, and am riding a 2016 Rebel 9 and a 2012 Evo 7.
I’m about to replace my quiver, and think Neos may be a good option.
I don’t have any doubt about their advantages as wave kites, but think they may make good foiling kites too. My reasoning is that they will hold up better in lulls, and will give a good pull to start foiling in light wind conditions. As Cons I can imagine slower foiling speed and a bit less support for flying gybes, but I don’t think that those will be serious problems.
This is theory, but I would really like to hear firsthand experience. Any cons that I hadn’t considered?
Thanks a lot for any help. I don’t have the possibility to test drive the kites before buying, so any advice is really appreciated.

omg
Frequent Poster

Re: North Neos for hydrofoiling

Postby omg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

I only foil in light winds, before moving to strapless surfboard when it picks up a bit.

Therefore I only ride with my Neo 10m2 2017, excellent kite for foiling. Power delivery is really nice for foiling and drift is there for nice downwinds. Really good kite, cannot comment other sizes for foiling though, but I would be surprised if the smaller sizes were not suitable for foiling.

jasontsai
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan, Maui
Style: Waves, Foiling
Gear: North Neo, Mono, Dice, Whip

Postby jasontsai » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Neos are quite good for both wave kiting and freeride foiling, which my friend and I do about 50/50 now. Neo's power delivery and quick turning allow me to foil on smaller sizes 4, 5, and 7 while twin-tip guys are on kites twice my size. In the following video, wind was about 18 knots and both my friend and I were foiling on Neo 5. [vimeo]https://vimeo.com/223635289[/vimeo]

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Spot on, Neos (and similar) are great for hydrofoiling, as long as you are not into the bigger sizes (over 10 m2), where you need a lighter kite :thumb:

8) PF

salvino
Frequent Poster

Postby salvino » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:29 am

My 9m Neo is my goto kite. Great for foiling, awesome actually. Then when wind picks up I jump on surfboard.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

User review 9m North Neo on a Hydrofoil.

http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1612 ... er-reviews
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2017-08-26 om 15.24.47.png
Schermafbeelding 2017-08-26 om 15.24.47.png (70.69 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm

This is exactly the kind of informed opinions I was looking for.
What a great forum this is!!

So it’s decided then. Neos will be my next quiver.
Unfortunately there are no waves where I live, so I mostly foil at home and surf when on vacation. I can’t switch from foil to surf and viceversa depending on the wind.
I’ll start replacing my 9 Rebel with a 9 Neo, and then the 7 Evo with a 6 or 7 Neo.
Thanks a lot for all the help.

jasontsai
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Taiwan, Maui
Style: Waves, Foiling
Gear: North Neo, Mono, Dice, Whip

Postby jasontsai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am

Perhaps you should consider replacing Rebel 9 with Neo 8 if your are looking for similar power.

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Good point. That’s something I thought about, but didn’t want to complicate de question in my original post.

Yes. I know the Neo 9 has more power than the Rebel 9, but was expecting that that would give me more light wind possibilities.

I weight 70 / 75 kgs (160 pounds), and am using a Liquid Force Happy Foil. I find that if the Rebel 9 stays in the air, I can foil. And, when I don’t have enough power to foil, usually the kite ends up in the water and I have to swim. That’s why I never bought a bigger / heavier kite for foiling.
I was expecting that, being lighter, the Neo would hold better in lulls and that it will give me a better low end.
But I wonder if it might be too big.

What do you think?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:10 pm

I think (havent flown the kite but many similar) that you should go for the 9 m2 Neo, it is NOT too big.

If it was really heavy and bombproof, yes, it could be just on the difficult side - but if a normal or even a tad lighter kite, you will be just fine with this nine :thumb:

Dont go smaller, wont work well on the beautiful good days with 9-11 knots of wind.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”