Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite quandary, any input appreciated!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite quandary, any input appreciated!

Postby borist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah, I'm normally on 6m Edge in 13. This was a day when wind picked up and I did not have time to switch. So I tested how far I can take it. I was not comfortable making jibes in tight space. Hang time was great :lol:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm

borist wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 pm
Yeah, I'm normally on 6m Edge in 13. This was a day when wind picked up and I did not have time to switch. So I tested how far I can take it. I was not comfortable making jibes in tight space. Hang time was great :lol:

Makes sense :thumb:

I have also been out with a 12 m2 onestrut where it picked up to 13 knots, and possible to ride yes, more difficult to make your normal carves as you have to keep the kite high and timing very different - but jibes are a lot easier when you can just "hang" under a powered kite while switching feet, almost like "cheating" as would never work that easy with a typical powered freestyle size :naughty:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm

I am now foiling with Mono 12-9-7. I'm 78 kg Dry. Session 27 or around there. I'm still Def a noob, but not a total noob. I fly a 2016 Moses Fluente with 548 front wing and 325 rear.
If people are out on TTs and 14+ kites I'm using a 12, they are on 12's I'm using 9, etc.
I've tried using 9 when others on 14+, 7 when others on 12. I can't get going, I flounder and any attempt to do carve or gibe and I lose too much power.
I don't loop kite on starts, yet. I did 2 loop starts yesterday with the 12 in light winds, and I get it, it probably is the trick.

Return to “Hydrofoil”