Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Wind meters?

Postby neilhapgood » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 am

Anyone regularly use windmeters?

I haven't in the past and generally sticking the old wet finger in air was fine on a TT.

However I seem to often find myself rigging the wrong size on the foil and generally am the only kiter at the beach so can't gauge off others

Wondering if a wind meter is worth the investment?

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: El Segundo, CA / Torrance, CA / San Pedro, CA / Belmont Shore, CA / Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Event Site, Hood River, OR / Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sherman Island, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2 FR 11/13/15/18, Core Section 5/7/9/12, Alpinefoil 4.5/5.0 Carbon / Spotz Shark

Re: Wind meters?

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 am

No. I find wind in my face and white caps on the water a good indication of kite size. I have an ikitesurf wind meter for my iPhone and never really used it. I will rig for expected conditions so may start under powered but my sessions tend to be long and far miles away from launch. if I am struggling overpowered, there are places I can kite to which are lighter else I will change down a kite size. Sunday was 2 hours on a 15M foil kite, 2 hours on a 13M foil kite, and 30 minutes on an 18M foil kite at the end of the day... The 15M would have been fine at the end of the day but I expected it to get lighter towards sunset.

For a general idea of conditions, nearby ikitesurf stations and their forecast are good enough. Conditions on the water can vary significantly from the beach (heat bubbles) so wind on the beach is not a reliable indicator.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Last edited by foilonfoil on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 am, edited 6 times in total.

Ianw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, F-one Bandit 11's
Brand Affiliation: None - Spent a fortune on it.

Postby Ianw » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 am

Yes windmeters never lie!!! I have had the Windtronic 2 for 11 years and use it whenever I kite. Obviously the wind is not consistent eg the reading at the top of the beach will be different from the waters edge. However for peace of mind and judging when to rig a 12m v's 9m V's 7m it's excellent. Also generally the readings compare with my local weather station.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am

They are nice to have. Get the windtronic 2.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm

If you are experienced, you will usually not use a wind meter but judge on many other signs, combined with nearby stations maybe.
This is because you HAVE learned the number from wind meters and stations during many many years - so you can judge better with your senses, which kite to choose.
This dont come free, and not possible for most riders.

So for many, it can be a good way to learn how much the wind changes from where you measure to where you ride, how much it changes, and so on, which you will eventually find out this way (after a long time of course).

Can only advocate to use a windmeter, you can only learn more, and no risk as long as you use your common sense too and not trust the measured wind as a "given" :thumb:

8) PF

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:11 pm

I used to be confident that I could tell from spending 2 minutes wandering around the car exactly what size to launch. I get less and less water time now so I use a meter to get a better feel. I was at the beach in 24 gusting 28kt last week - by face feel (and a foot of shifting sand) I wouldn't have bothered rigging my 9 but when I got the reading we popped it up and, while well powered, it was fine.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

coffeeking wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:11 pm
I used to be confident that I could tell from spending 2 minutes wandering around the car exactly what size to launch. I get less and less water time now so I use a meter to get a better feel. I was at the beach in 24 gusting 28kt last week - by face feel (and a foot of shifting sand) I wouldn't have bothered rigging my 9 but when I got the reading we popped it up and, while well powered, it was fine.

Do you ride with a 9 m2 on a hydrofoil in 24 knots ??? Sounds pretty scary to me :o :o :o

I ride a 3.5 or 4 m2 in this wind - some can ride big kites like a 5 or 6 maybe when not for waves and freeride.

Or are you talking about a TT ?

Besides that, I agree it is at the extreme ends a windmeter can make most sense, both the upper end like here, but also sometimes the lower end, as if "free" on the surface, the difference from 6 to 8 knots is similar to an 18 m2 kite really difficult only with the best marginal gear, versus 10-12 m2 and easy on all kinds of gear almost (not quite, but close, from 10 knots you can use whatever kite and size you got).

Thus, sometimes if you HAVE seen or tried and know there is not sufficient on a given day and spot, then if you have to wait, a wind meter can tell you quite well how much more there is later, or if it is about the same, as 1 or 2 knots make all the difference here :rollgrin:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I dont know if there's any benefit since wind on the beach can vary so much from the wind you're actually riding in (higher and out to sea). Luckily we have a wind sensor out in the bay on top of a bridge that gives good readings. As Peter said, for light winds especially, 1 or 2 knots makes all the difference.
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm
Do you ride with a 9 m2 on a hydrofoil in 24 knots ??? Sounds pretty scary to me :o :o :o

I ride a 3.5 or 4 m2 in this wind - some can ride big kites like a 5 or 6 maybe when not for waves and freeride.
I now ride my 11m sonic2 up to about 24 kts. The 9m I ride in 20-30. Was out yesterday on 9m in 25 gusting to 31 kts and was comfortable.
Attachments
1316595744_clarkson-power-54f8969e3cf91.jpg
1316595744_clarkson-power-54f8969e3cf91.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 435 times

GCKiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Navarre Fl.
Style: Old style, waves, endless downwinders
Gear: Slingshot, Flysurfer, LF foil fish, Airush

Postby GCKiter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Haven't used wind meters in several years.I tend to look at local conditions i.e. Sea state,warning flags on beach, sand blowing on beach,beach umbrellas rolling across beach, shaded wind-line out in water etc., when the breeze starts dropping it becomes a little more difficult especially if your trying to foil at your bottom line wind speed ( for me 7.5 or less)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 pm

GCKiter wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:22 pm
Haven't used wind meters in several years.I tend to look at local conditions i.e. Sea state,warning flags on beach, sand blowing on beach,beach umbrellas rolling across beach, shaded wind-line out in water etc., when the breeze starts dropping it becomes a little more difficult especially if your trying to foil at your bottom line wind speed ( for me 7.5 or less)
:thumb: 99% of windmeters are used by kooks or gadget lovers :D .

Return to “Hydrofoil”