Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Production carbon mast composition

Postby mopman365 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 pm

cwood wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 pm
jaros wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm
I broke my Moses Vorace mast yesterday and got to see the construction...clearly two halves bonded with a thin white foam core. I believe the engineering of carbon is all about the skin and not a core...but wondered if some are solid layers of carbon? I would think layup would be difficult to do solid and heavy....would it be stronger?
It would be nice to see a photo of the broken section. We rarely have a chance to see the inside construction of our toys.
Here you go. Foam looks to be about 1/4 inch at its thickest. Two bonded halves. I think the bond may have failed, then separated, then due to there not being opposing forces of two sides it broke. I had felt some strange behavior on the wing just before....thought I had picked up a weed or something. It actually failed when starting after being in the water. I think I was lucky not to have lose the wings and fuselage. 1km body drag back to shore.

https://goo.gl/photos/SbCbKBydD4rmb5mv8
Thanks for posting the photos. I'd guess it was rather a break/crack on the side of the mast. The split happened after the skin failed.

cwood
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm

I am pleased to report that my replacement arrived this morning in all its beautiful glory. The finish on this one looks even better than the prior....perfect out of the box.

Thanks to Moses and Moses Canada for rapid support and standing by their product (there was a new mast on route basically the day after the issue). I continue to believe it is the best value and best thought out component strategy of all the players.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 am

For the record, the core does matter when it comes to stiffness, and in some cases it can matter a lot. If the skin of a foil was thin and was hollow, calculations might suggest it is OK, but in the real world as it tries to bend it would deform and become flatter, so suddenly it is not as thick, and now the original calculations are all wrong because they assumed that there would be no deformation of the cross section. Imagine an I beam with a super flimsy or non-existent vertical web between the top and bottom flanges. It needs something to hold the top and bottom of the "I" in the right place. So a hollow foil is fine if the skin of it is so stiff that its cross section does not deform. This is where stiffer foam helps compared to a softer foam. It's also why a solid cross section will be stiffest, but the gains may not be huge and one has to look at the pros and cons.

Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”