Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

tacking pigeon toed position

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

lovethepirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Hydrofoiling for the summer!
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None

tacking pigeon toed position

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:31 am

I've done enough failed tacks now that I'm starting to get aggravated with the move that I need to focus on the technique vs just winging it.

I am sheeting out nicely, carving up nicely although I don't know if I am carving too much or not enough, then I sheet in to get some lift... but my first issue is putting the back foot into the front strap. Am I correct that this is basically a pigeoned toed move seen in the below pic? Fuck what a tough challenge this move is! Don't laugh, I made this replica board to the dimensions of my board to figure out this fking move lol.

I'll try to get some video of my attempts next time I am out...that should help.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Re: tacking pigeon toed position

Postby gmb13 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 am

Hi,

You are probably not carving far enough around before switching your feet. The operative word here is "switching" you do not want to be in "pigeon" stance foe more than half a second.

Also you should begin switching your feet before the board passes 90 deg into the wind.

Also make sure that you body weight is forward during the switch. Check out these two vids.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

--
Gunnar

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Also, your weight is almost completely supported by the kite when you're in this position. If you're not supported by the kite at this point, pull in on the bar more. Practicing the footwork without the kite support probably won't help much.

Keep at it! You only need to fall about 500 times to get good at tacking ;)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Foil tacking is a fine balance of many things. You can either try hundreds of times and proceed by elimination like I did, or much faster, have an experienced rider who knows how to tack watch you and point out what you are doing wrong.

Worth all the trouble and once you have learned it you will wonder why it took so long to learn :)

Did an amazing thing (for me) yesterday. Strapless on my hydrofoil, tacked full speed on the face of a wave as I was heading out and managed to keep control as I was riding back down the face.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Got to setup a gopro on nose of board, then edit the move on some classic swing music :D

Tried only once to tack, ended up in me being slingshot downwind when I sheeted in a bit backroll style, board kept foiling 40 feet upwind of me :lol:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm
Got to setup a gopro on nose of board, then edit the move on some classic swing music :D

Tried only once to tack, ended up in me being slingshot downwind when I sheeted in a bit backroll style, board kept foiling 40 feet upwind of me :lol:

This is what happens for almost everyone at first, spot on.

Also when learning 360's you will find the same, your board continues far away in almost the same direction, while you yourself change direction and sometimes end up downwind yes.

It will come, but when learning you typically has too much forward speed and pull the kite up and back too fast - thus above will happen.
You will also turn in an incorrect way, not sufficient "yaw" movement, apart from not coordinating correct - thus your board will continue straight while you "fly around" :rollgrin:

Just continue over and over and it will come :thumb:

8) PF

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Be sure that your front foot straps are loose enough for your back foot to easily slide in (and for your original front foot to easily slide out).
If you don't get your back foot into the front strap it is very difficult to complete your tack.

The tack is a difficult move to master and once you can do them you will have reached a significantly higher level in hydrofoiling. :thumb:

:wink: CG

Return to “Hydrofoil”