Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How often do you swim in @ <10knots ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How often do you swim in @ <10knots ?

Postby Slappysan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:34 am

I'll go out in 6 knots with my low aspect foil board and 17m C2 kite.

If I drop the kite I'm swimming in. If it lulls to 4 knots when my kite is in a bad position, I'm swimming in.

My swims are usually 500-1km, but they aren't really swims as the kite still does the work pulling you to shore. It takes 45 minutes though and you better dress for the swim, not the air temp.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:38 am

I drop my kite so many times I am now mega skilled at relaunch, 10 times each session or even more sometimes If I am really trying hard to get that foil Jybe cracked in choppy big swell conditions, crashing out is so energy sapping getting back up can sometimes look comical from the beach, and my look out (wifey) can tell when I am about to come ashore for a rest and a drink,

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:08 am

Slappysan wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:34 am
I'll go out in 6 knots with my low aspect foil board and 17m C2 kite.

If I drop the kite I'm swimming in. If it lulls to 4 knots when my kite is in a bad position, I'm swimming in.

My swims are usually 500-1km, but they aren't really swims as the kite still does the work pulling you to shore. It takes 45 minutes though and you better dress for the swim, not the air temp.
There are a lot of times when I have just laid across my board in three or four knots and just had the Cloud fill up and pull me slowly into shore.
And few times with no wind when I have laid across the Cloud leading edge like a pool noodle and paddled in.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

Too often.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:57 pm

As said above, the new racekites are incredible light wind machines.

Two weeks ago we started with 10-12 kts, very steady ocean-quality side-on, that gradually diminished to nothing. Really, at the beach it was between 3-4 kts measured and barely perceptible at all. The last kites falling down were a strutless 17m LEI and a Speed5. My friend had a 13m Sonic2 and me a 15m Sonic2 with 20m lines - we had no problem to park the kites at the zenith when discussing and nice pull when riding - great race training over flat water.

Since June when I bought the Sonic2 I had many sub-8/10 kts sessions but I had to swim in only twice after crashing the kite hard in failed downloops - very hard to de-twist without getting water in through the air intake valves, even after 5 years of foil kite experience with Speed3 kites.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:05 pm

About 15 sessions with my Ozone Chrono V2 Ultralight 15m, swim count still in zero. The kite still keeps flying when ive no power to waterstart at all, so ill just bodydrag/kiteloop to the beach.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:05 pm
About 15 sessions with my Ozone Chrono V2 Ultralight 15m, swim count still in zero. The kite still keeps flying when ive no power to waterstart at all, so ill just bodydrag/kiteloop to the beach.
What its possible to not have enough power to foil and still have kite flying?? I didnt know that was possible. There isnt much reviews about the chrono UL. What are your thoughts on it?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

Turbaani wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
What its possible to not have enough power to foil and still have kite flying?? I didnt know that was possible. There isnt much reviews about the chrono UL. What are your thoughts on it?
I dont have many Foil kites to compare it, i just tried a Chrono V2 18m (not ultralight) and a R1V1 15m. This Chrono v2 UL its much easier to keep flying than both of this kites, the normal V2 wingtips start colapsing much earlier then the UL, and when comparing with the R1V1 the V2 UL its a much easier kite to fly. Its pointless to compare to any LEI, because no LEI its nearly as light or efficient in Lightwinds as the UL is.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am

Turbaani wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:

Definitely, I have never experienced myself, or seen it with a foil kite, that it was not possible to ride when it could be kept in the air though.

Only when using too short lines, or racewings, I have seen the good ones being able to "hang" in the air, but not sufficient to ride.

With good (light) LEI kites it is more pronounced - these can often hang in less wind than possible to ride.

The answer is "YES, you can fly the kites in less wind than you can ride", pretty often :D

When hydrofoiling started, then we said the first years: "As long as a kite can hang in the air, you can ride".
This is not true anymore, the new foil and strutless LEIs has pushed the "hang" limit a lot :D

8) PF

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am
Turbaani wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:

Definitely, I have never experienced myself, or seen it with a foil kite, that it was not possible to ride when it could be kept in the air though.

Only when using too short lines, or racewings, I have seen the good ones being able to "hang" in the air, but not sufficient to ride.

With good (light) LEI kites it is more pronounced - these can often hang in less wind than possible to ride.

The answer is "YES, you can fly the kites in less wind than you can ride", pretty often :D

When hydrofoiling started, then we said the first years: "As long as a kite can hang in the air, you can ride".
This is not true anymore, the new foil and strutless LEIs has pushed the "hang" limit a lot :D

8) PF
Im in the market for a foil kite since my lightwind weapon currently is 17m LEI, TS. I can still ride hydrofoil when the kite has to be looped constantly to keep it in air. But one mistake and im swimming. So a lighter kite would be nice. This chrono UL seems like a dream. But you say its possible with other kites too to be underpowered while kite is flying. So is it worth the extra buck to get UL kite?

Edit: missed pedro's post. Thanks for the info. Maybe it is worth the extra buck ^^

Return to “Hydrofoil”