Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A caes for full face?

Postby cwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
mikesids wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 am
Easy - Ozone Nutshell paragliding helmet with optional chinguard. Pretty much exactly the answer for your issue I would have thought?

Ozone helmet.jpeg
Says on the Ozone website that its not designed for water use though.
Telling you guys....a full face shield in the water is nothing but a major annoyance. Unless perfectly clean, no scratches (impossible) and temperature then it will just drive you nuts. A cage one would be the only viable way IMO

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby UKSurf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am
mikesids wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 am
Easy - Ozone Nutshell paragliding helmet with optional chinguard. Pretty much exactly the answer for your issue I would have thought?

Ozone helmet.jpeg
Says on the Ozone website that its not designed for water use though.
Telling you guys....a full face shield in the water is nothing but a major annoyance. Unless perfectly clean, no scratches (impossible) and temperature then it will just drive you nuts. A cage one would be the only viable way IMO
I have been using the ice hockey cage helmet while learning to hydrofoil and it doesnt seem much different from a gath helmet to be honest. I have had some pretty hard crashes with it and no problems. Saved me from a smash in the face a couple of times too.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

UKSurf wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm
A cage one would be the only viable way IMO
I have been using the ice hockey cage helmet while learning to hydrofoil and it doesnt seem much different from a gath helmet to be honest. I have had some pretty hard crashes with it and no problems.
Saved me from a smash in the face a couple of times too.
[/quote]
:thumb: :idea: :D
I only wonder how long they will stand up to salt H20?
I also have seen ice hockey helmets with minimal bars that look like they will do the trick.
Might start looking into downhill mountain bike ones with cage as well!
R H
Saw my good hurt friend again today, we have MANY, MANY, started KBHF 2009 and other boards 2000, great sessions between us and he sure wishes he would have had a "cage" so as not to endure
the shit he is in now, EVEN IF a FREAK RANDOM ACCIDENT!

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby UKSurf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 pm

revhed wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm
I only wonder how long they will stand up to salt H20?
I also have seen ice hockey helmets with minimal bars that look like they will do the trick.
Might start looking into downhill mountain bike ones with cage as well!
R H
Saw my good hurt friend again today, we have MANY, MANY, started KBHF 2009 and other boards 2000, great sessions between us and he sure wishes he would have had a "cage" so as not to endure
the shit he is in now, EVEN IF a FREAK RANDOM ACCIDENT!
They do rust a bit but they are cheap with lots of second hand ones on ebay - I paid about 10 Euros. I would say it would last a couple of seasons and are water proof with a rubber padding - I guess because there is water from the Ice in Hockey. Although the probability is low there are the risk of major wipeouts with hydrofoiling and getting your face smashed is a risk you dont wear something with protection.

Foil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool, Newbrough Anglesey Wales
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosniger for the twintip.
Style: Mad but happy,risky with back up
Gear: Moses T60 Carbon board,91 cm Carbon foil, wing and stabiliser selection, Fone bandits- 7-8-9-12 and 15mtr Breeze, 12 Ozone Reo.
Nobile twin tip,North 2018 click bars

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

I have only been foilsurfing for 4 months now, and twice I have taken a bar into the cheek bone, the north rubber end on the left side of my click bar helped a bit but I was left with red indents that lasted for 4 days, it became a bit of a pain as everyone kept looking and asked if I had been fighting with the wife.
I noticed a few days ago that Decathlon have just got in all there snow boarding gear and they have hundreds of smart looking helmets many with half visors that look quality, but none with cage fronts, I have been using a non water use snow boarding helmet on and off for 5 years or more, the water has had no adverse effect but the helmet is a quite pricey type around £120 uk pounds, the speed of my foil crashes is starting to worry me as I am now getting some serious speed especially when a swell is running and pushing me into high scary death runs.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Decathlon but none with cage fronts,
Hockey :thumb:
https://www.decathlon.fr/casque-hockey- ... 93731.html
R H
Here in France a site called "BON COIN" a used for sale like ebay, found SO many helmets with face cage for next to nothing just need to verify size!

Return to “Hydrofoil”