Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Hydrofoil board for beginner, cheaper VS expensive

Postby juandesooka » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 pm

I am a fan of starting inexpensive to learn and test the waters. Buy a used complete package with low or medium aspect wings. Then if you like it and want to advance, you can sell the used package for pretty much what you paid for it to the next learner, and then upgrade to as fancy a long term model as you like and can afford.

The learning curve seems to vary from a horrendous process of dozens of miserable sessions, to those who get the basics in a half hour and have base competency in their 2nd session. With this much variation, it is difficult to get good advice on here, as it depends on where in this spectrum both you and the adviser fall. I think I was in the middle somewhere, learned behind my boat, hated first couple sessions, then started getting it (especially once learned to start SLOW ;-) Something I observed: a friend recently got the slingshot 3 mast flight school option (used, relatively cheap), and he was up and riding on the first session without any trouble, on 15" mast. Graduated to 24" mast after maybe 3 sessions. Then maybe another 5-6 graduated to full 35" mast. He didn't have the misery I have seen others go through, so it may be something to consider.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Archer77 (Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Get a board that can take you from beginner to advanced. Everyone buys a beginner board and then after 2 hours of foiling they wish they didnt spend money on a beginner board.

I recommend a moses. You can get a t40 board, fluente mast and a 548 wing to start. Will take you from beginner to advanced!
If you want a review of the Moses gear take a look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80SF00u ... KMZtuhAR3o
These users thanked the author Kitemanmuc for the post:

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 pm
...Everyone buys a beginner board and then after 2 hours of foiling they wish they didnt spend money on a beginner board.

I recommend a moses. You can get a t40 board...
Yeah, right, solid advice. Get T40 board, and after 2 hours of foiling wish it had mounting tracks, like virtually every not-so-premium board has.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 am

I would buy something with a durable wing to start with, G10 wing ect.. and aluminum mast. Get to the point where you are not running aground and then buy a nice carbon setup. The nicer setups are easier to ride, something like a Ketos FR2 or Levitaz or many others. I would skip the short mast, they can have their usefulness in shallow circumstances but I did not find them useful at all for learning and much prefer a 90cm+ mast.
These users thanked the author sedluk for the post:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Axis Ride and the aluminum foil. Easy to ride and no bad habits. And light for aluminum. They offer a 60 or 70cm mast too.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I can only give you my experience, and warn you to be carefull as the wrong choice may cost you a lot of cash and frustration from early on.
Remember as a newbie you will hit the bottom a lot, carbon wings will not take the abuse, and damaged wings will cavitate and chuck you off before you know what's happening, replacing them hurts just as much as a good fast face plant.
I Started off with the slingshot school set up on the special offer alien board, 3 alli masts, very robust wing and stabizer and all quite heavy, but hay ho, I never damaged anything and I hit the bottom countless times, yes it was a pain lugging it out long walking distances and back again but it did the job of getting me up and ready for the dream gear, but there was a sting in the tail of this decision.
The good points were as I mentioned, durability, which made the gear easy to sell on as it was undamaged, in fact I sold it on the first day I was able to foil both ways for a good distance on the tall mast. I lost about £200 on the full set up, good deal, I was happy.
I was now ready (or so I thought)for my dream board, a new super lightweight Moses with 91cm carbon mast, then reality hit me, It was like starting all over, I had a hard time getting up and foiling on such a lively advanced set up, it was so hard compared to my every so easy slingshot gear, and the carbon wings were so fragile, and I was so bad at keeping them off the bottom, I needed new wings within weeks, but would I change the way I approached the sport? Absolutely Not!
The Moses gear is so sexy to even look at I have a full length mast polished up and on show in my house, it's a work of art!
I now have the carbon t60 board and wish I had started out on it as it offers better pop up after touching down.
Where I sail I sometimes have to walk a long way to the water, the Lightweight carbon gear makes this so easy, resting the whole rig on my shoulder without a problem for a very long walk.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 pm
I was now ready (or so I thought)for my dream board, a new super lightweight Moses with 91cm carbon mast, then reality hit me, It was like starting all over, I had a hard time getting up and foiling on such a lively advanced set up, it was so hard compared to my every so easy slingshot gear, and the carbon wings were so fragile, and I was so bad at keeping them off the bottom, I needed new wings within weeks, but would I change the way I approached the sport? Absolutely Not!
Your progression seems sensible to me. You basically rented a cheaper intro set up for learning. Worked out to maybe 10-20pounds per session?

For a new learner, what might be helpful to know -- you said you felt like you were starting over when you went with Moses, it was so different. Do you think that if you'd started right at the beginning with your Moses that it would have made your initial learning more difficult or more frustrating? Or maybe the key question: if you could do it over again, would you have gone with the slingshot flight school baby steps approach, or jumped right into the ferrari for learning?

For me, I jumped from original carafino as low aspect as it gets to a stringy mid-aspect ... and the first few sessions were super difficult, felt like forgot how to foil. But I am confident that knowing the basics first was helpful in advancing. If I ever try high aspect wings, I am sure it will be the same transition.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 pm

I like the liquid force beginner setup a lot. I'm still a beginner but I'm doing jumps and tricks and screaming 25mph over sandbars. One time I slammed a sandbar at speed, I did a cartwheel, the foil did a cartwheel, I was for sure that everything had snapped in half, but it was all intact. I think I've hit bottom a hundred times so far at least and while the foil looks like someone has taken a sandblaster to it, everything still works. I've heard that slingshot is also pretty durable but I know for sure that this liquid force beginner setup won't snap in two just because you crash into the bottom at speed. For me at least since I am so hard on my gear (my kites never last more than 2 years before they are tissue paper) durability is my #1 concern and I've been happy with my happy foil setup. Buying a carbon setup would be sick as hell as foils have a huge swing weight under you when you boost and do tricks, but I'm sure I would shatter it before I finished paying for it. I've been foiling all this year but still consider myself a beginner and while I am itching to upgrade, I'm really not ready yet. Next year is my target for buying a carbon mast, carbon foil and new board (I have plans to build my own board).

The great thing about foils is you don't have to upgrade it all at once. You can upgrade the board, the mast, the tail, the wing, all separately as you desire and mix and match. You have to be a little careful about mixing and matching so everything mounts correctly that's all and might need to drill a hole or two that's all.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 pm
Remember as a newbie you will hit the bottom a lot
Not if you have even half a brain! :o
Rule number one for KBHF, DO NOT BOTTOM OUT, PERIOD! :nono:
There is no need to ever do this! With the exception of wave foilers taking the risk flying close in, but they should be aware if they are good enough to play there!
RH
These users thanked the author revhed for the post:

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 pm