Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foilboard Floats on Side - Heads Upwind.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Glice227
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake St Francis
Gear: Flysurfers, Clouds, Celeritas, Monk, Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None

Foilboard Floats on Side - Heads Upwind.

Postby Glice227 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 am

Hi, does anyone have a foil board that sometimes floats on its side so that the mast is horizontal and half a wing is out of the water? This happened to me yesterday and the board "sailed" upwind on its own tack. I was unable to body drag fast enough to catch it with my wetsuit and draggy life jacket on. Front wing is foam cored carbon fibre and the board is paipo-like.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Re: Foilboard Floats on Side - Heads Upwind.

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 am

I’d like to see the video of that.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 am

What board was it attached to? That's interesting. I never underestimate what the hell the hydrofoil does, it's like a cat in the water.

Glice227
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake St Francis
Gear: Flysurfers, Clouds, Celeritas, Monk, Hydrofoils

Postby Glice227 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 am

Did not have the go pro that time, hopefully won't be a next time... The board is a home made 160cm paipo, so not much bouyancy. Fell and ended up about 5 yards from the board before the chase began, quite surprising how quickly the board took off.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 am

Yes, I experience this occasionally - it is mostly if windy, then the wind can "hold" the hydrofoil on its side working as a sail :thumb:

Can always bodydrag to the board, but normally when mast down I don't need to as the hydrofoil dolphins downwind fast when small (or bigger) waves - so you get lazy and just drag sideways a bit down maybe both hands on the bar and wait for the board :naughty:

But when on its side you have to bodydrag for real like if going for a TT board :D

Quite amazing even though rare.

Good thing is, board is ready for you to take off immediately just put your feet up and go :thumb:

I wish there was a hydrofoil that only did this when low water close to shore, so it would not ding on the bottom nor run ashore too fast - would be genius :rollgrin:

8) PF

PS: On the plus side is, that it means you got a low weight foil so often when you crash, or miss a trick, it sinks really slow as opposed to alufoils, so you can just start again right away because it is still on its side - great when strapless, superfast and I love that :rollgrin:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am

My board/foil combo naturally sits on it's side. Foil and board is the same construction. Carbon over bamboo. Though I have never been unable to get to the board. Another technique is to park the kite at 12 and back struck directly upwind. Sometimes it's faster than zig zagging upwind.

cwood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 am

A naish board combo got away from an experienced rider last week in side shore wind...he could not get to it. It was actually sailing away rather than tracking down wind. If someone hadn't found it and dragged it in it would have been gone. Personally I would now own a board like that. Dangerous.

Return to “Hydrofoil”