Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: When it's windy....

Postby jakemoore » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm
Foiling in big seas and high winds reminds me a lot of snowboarding the moguls.
Oh. That is awful.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Still doing some TT wakestyle/freestyle when 18+ knots.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 pm

I foil from 8 knots to 15 knots in the sound/flatwater, then >15 knots move to ocean for wave riding and downwinders which is still more fun than foiling in my opinion. No longer doing any flatwater TT riding though

Where I am (NJ barrier island) it's almost always >8 knots so the foil has opened up kiting nearly everyday! Truly an incredible addition to kiting

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Foiling in big seas and high winds reminds me a lot of snowboarding the moguls. It's not really the best way to use the gear in terms of demonstrating outright performance, but the inherent challenge is alluring and keeps me coming back. Knowing that the twintip or a surfboard would be easier, for me, takes the fun out of them. Everything worth doing is hard.
Oh I have to disagree. Its wave riding of a slightly different sort. If you do it right it is smooth and fluid. Snowboard in moguls is just awkward. (IMO)

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 am

I have two modes when foiling, tends to be driven by the water state - when it is flat water conditions ( 10knots up to high teens, inner harbour) it is about holding power and speed and exploring a wide area, more recently I have started foiling on the coast in 1-2m of swell with a small wave kite ( 5m) in 20-25 knots wind with a view to riding / surfing the swell rather than blasting around . With the latter I am pursuing the lowest amount of power that will get the foil up, and the least speed , hence the small kite - really enjoyable and a fresh challenge. The next stage for me will be to use a large surf foil with a low stall speed to slow the board down even more , again with the smallest kite I can get away with.

So sometimes I want the most speed and power I can get , and at other times I want the least speed and power in order to get a more surfy experience. Being overpowered in rough conditions and exploding regularly is actually not that enjoyable and I have copped some serious beatings to my ribs as a result, even with a heavy duty wakeboarding impact vest. But I do love straight line speed in flatter conditions and I am still chasing down the 30knot mark on the foil as one of my kiting goals.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 pm

cwood wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 am
Mossy 757 wrote:
Foiling in big seas and high winds reminds me a lot of snowboarding the moguls. It's not really the best way to use the gear in terms of demonstrating outright performance, but the inherent challenge is alluring and keeps me coming back. Knowing that the twintip or a surfboard would be easier, for me, takes the fun out of them. Everything worth doing is hard.
Oh I have to disagree. Its wave riding of a slightly different sort. If you do it right it is smooth and fluid. Snowboard in moguls is just awkward. (IMO)
I meant soft powdery moguls, not hard icy bullshit. But yeah, whatevs, it's just a lot more fun than bouncing around on a twin tip for me.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 pm
cwood wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 am
Mossy 757 wrote:
I meant soft powdery moguls, not hard icy bullshit. But yeah, whatevs, it's just a lot more fun than bouncing around on a twin tip for me.
:thumb: Soft powder moguls are FUN. It's also a fun challenge trying to make the foil work in bumpy confused seas in high wind. I also hate being overpowered in rough conditions, so a smaller kite is better. But on a gusty day that makes for some awkward moments, between being nicely powered, then big holes in between.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 pm

So many elements to work on in tough conditions....but still so smooth once you figure it out!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 am

A low speed foil + small kite + >25 knots = pure joy.

Carving turns on waves is fun. Every now and then the foil and the wave line up and it feels like true surfing. Huge fun.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm
Flag53 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 pm
I'm with cwood and Horst on this one and am foiling what ever the wind and water conditions.
I've only used my twin tip and surfboard once each this year , I'm just really enjoying the challenge of foiling in ALL conditions 👍

I cant do that...

When its blowing to 4½ or 5 m2 on a waveboard (pretty normal wave conditions when good), I am overpowered even on my 3.5 m2 kite when on a hydrofoil - possible yes but not the sweetspot and I ride waves instead on a waveboard in this wind.

But as many like to ride extremely powered (some in here say they ride the same size as on their TTs - I ride at least two sizes smaller) I can see the urge for hydrofoiling in this wind, its just not me as I like to play around in the waves or chop in a very different way, maybe too old ha haa :rollgrin:

8) PF
Have you tried with short lines? When i get overpowered on my 6m (my smallest kite LEI) i use 18m lines and it really helps, it just becomes very nervous.

Return to “Hydrofoil”