Extreme Lightwind... Amazed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Extreme Lightwind... Amazed

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Spot on Pedro :thumb:

Dont underestimate #3, it is very important - both for mistakes but also for huge lulls where you loop the kite to keep it alive even when really good :rollgrin:

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:35 pm

I wonder if PFD, impact vest, and wetsuit flotation affects light wind water start by reducing the force needed to lift your body out of the water onto the board and allowing more kite energy to go into forward movement. Maybe we just need to start wearing floaty Michelin Man suits.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I agree Pedro ! Would just add that in marginal wind i found out that a loop droping first forehead (I call Uploop) is more efficient that a downloop (I.e droping backward). I do not know if it is applicable to all kites but fr medium ratio kite you can save 0.0004 knots :roll:

About flotation addings It should not change a lot ,But if it does, I would bet it gets the waterstart LESS efficient .

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:20 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 pm
But you managed to start your session in that wind somehow?
Affirmative - for example it might be after a long fight to launch a foilboard and then the wind decreases even more. Or you just begin in 10 kts and wind dies out.
Pedro Marcos wrote: In such a light wind this is what will happen:
1 - Go on the water with side wind and keep the kite moving to "try" that it doesnt drop from the sky, keeping tension on the lines.
2 - Do the first loop to start (or big stroke) that will be just enough to put you "standing" on the board: and this is where the board is important, if you have a low volume board it will sink before you have enough time to give another stroke/loop on the kite, with a bigger board you will manage to stand on it and do another loop to start you moving, and then another one to give you enough speed to lift your foil.
3- point 1 and 2 will happen again everytime you fail to jibe/tack properly, and the big board will allow you to touchdown for more time.
Point 1 - keeping front lines tight all the time - all beginners don't understand it and they usually blame all other reasons than themselves ;)

Point 2 - all fine but there is missing one vital trick - feet pumping
It is not easy to learn proper pumping. It is not about lifting and pressing a foil.
This is 3 dimensional task which additionally includes pushing a board forward by front foot only and in the same time to lift a back foot.
Feet do not work in the same direction at the same moment and their work must be well synchronised.

Once performed well with kite movement it seriously lowers personal marginal wind limits.
BTW. Feet pumping does not require kitelooping anymore in my case. I pump a board and pump a kite in the same time. It is enough.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 am

I was out this evening and the wind was slowly dropping. I was using my 13m Sonic2 so I would not consider this ultra light wind, maybe 8 knots. It was getting close to sunset and would not have time to switch to a bigger kite so I tried the feet pumping and it helped. I was using my Nobile Zen board and the board can sink after the first power stoke if not enough wind, I would do the feet pump trick and this kept the board up so that the next power stroke I was moving and a few more feet pumps, the next stoke I was up on the foil and cruising along.

The feet pumping help me simulate having a bigger board, the board did not settle back down into the water. It was a great practice session and it will come in handy when the wind is even lighter.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 am

Do you have a video about this specific kind of board pumping?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Let's take to history lane. This already 7y old video by gmb13 has foil board pumping starting roughly from 2:38. More modern Ketos foil pumping videos can be found at YT. Or hydrofoil surfing videos where watermen change waves by just pumping.

https://vimeo.com/17754852

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Return to “Hydrofoil”