Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Enata Foil reviews?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


Texaskiter
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:08 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Texas City
Galveston
Favorite Beaches: North Shore, Hawaii
Style: Freeride, surf
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrina, Crazy Fly
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby Texaskiter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 am

This is all great feedback. Let me expand the discussion just a bit. As I mentioned I am a heavier rider 205 pounds. I have been foiling for about two years and would call myself a solid intermediate rider. I currently own and ride the Lift NF2 with a Hypermiler board. Love the set up and find that the Lift is a great free-ride all around foil. Does everything great. However, I want to add a race foil to my quiver to go faster than my current top end (at about 20 knots my foil is maxed).

So I recently had a session on the Moses Vorace foil with a 600mm wing and whatever size stabilizer goes with it. It was significantly faster than the Lift and a little stiffer to turn. Just what I would expect. Then I had a session with the new Ghost Whisperer 111 cm which is their full on race set up. I found the Ghost Whisperer to be even faster and stiffer as I would expect. Used my board with both so kept that constant. My issue is this. Both foils clearly want to go fast (at 20 knots I was just cruising. Never found the top end on the GW.) However, I don’t like how the both foils drop me off plane when I slow down. I am sure much of this is operator error but I also think I should be able to find a foil that is fast while still allowing me to slow down without dropping me out (I.e. more forgiving). No manufacturer talks a lot about the role rider weight has in overall performance; but I have to believe that I should have a different set up than a 165 pound rider. So this is why I have interest in the Enata. I think it may work better as a high performance foil for a heavy rider.sounds like the Delta and Mikeslab would also be a good choice. Would welcome thoughts on this!

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby davesails7 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm

I didn't realize until recently, the Ghost Whisperer 111 with GW600 wing is a Moses Comet with different decals. It is a smaller wing for sure.

I talked to two guys who have ridden the Comet/GhostW back to back with the Delta. One said he thought the comet was more stable at speed. The other guy said they're very close, he thought the Comet was slightly faster but not as stable. So sounds like they are pretty close. Both of these guys are light though, probably 150-170 lbs.

Now that it's the end of the racing season, there have been a few Comets for sale fairly cheap on second hand sites, 1000-1200 Euros. I don't think you can find a used Delta.

plasma180
Rare Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 12:27 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Hydrofoil / Twitip / Wave
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer / NKB / Core / Carved

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby plasma180 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm

I heard the new 2018 Moses Comet would be very similar to Mikes Lab!?

http://www.moseshydrofoil.com/kit-comet-111-mk111.18

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm
I don't think you can find a used Delta.
I have a used Delta foil and race board that I'd gladly sell to someone who wants to get into racing. I'm out of the water with a disc injury for the next 6-8 months and don't need to warehouse unused race gear until then. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Regarding crashing off foil...some of that might be the geometry of where your board's turtle box is, foot strap placement, how the stabilizer is trimmed, etc. With my Sword2, I found it much less likely to do that crash down once I shimmed the stabilizer for a bit more nose-up trim.

I'm not saying that race foils don't sometimes come off a foil suddenly, they do, but some of that might be correctable with tuning and some of it might be a feature of your board not being specifically designed for that foil. If you look at the guys on Banga, Delta, Mike's Lab, and even Levitaz to a large extent, they're all riding boards made by the foil manufacturer; this is not by accident, there are performance gains to be had through this approach.

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:31 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Current: Flysurfer Sonic 2's, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards. Previous: AlpineFoil Carbon 5.0, Spotz Tuna/Shark, Banga
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

I have a used Delta foil and race board that I'd gladly sell to someone who wants to get into racing. I'm out of the water with a disc injury for the next 6-8 months and don't need to warehouse unused race gear until then. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'm not saying that race foils don't sometimes come off a foil suddenly, they do, but some of that might be correctable with tuning and some of it might be a feature of your board not being specifically designed for that foil. If you look at the guys on Banga, Delta, Mike's Lab, and even Levitaz to a large extent, they're all riding boards made by the foil manufacturer; this is not by accident, there are performance gains to be had through this approach.
Very sorry to hear about your injury. Agree 100% on the board comments. Having played with different boards on different foils, the change in ride can be night and day. Certainly the wrong board can have a huge impact on ride/recovery.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm
I didn't realize until recently, the Ghost Whisperer 111 with GW600 wing is a Moses Comet with different decals. It is a smaller wing for sure.

I talked to two guys who have ridden the Comet/GhostW back to back with the Delta. One said he thought the comet was more stable at speed. The other guy said they're very close, he thought the Comet was slightly faster but not as stable. So sounds like they are pretty close. Both of these guys are light though, probably 150-170 lbs.

Now that it's the end of the racing season, there have been a few Comets for sale fairly cheap on second hand sites, 1000-1200 Euros. I don't think you can find a used Delta.
I think the 2017 moses race foil was abit of a flop, the 600A wing its easy but its not competitive, in the middle of the season they made a "prototype" called 585 (not for sale) which is faster then the 600. The new race wing 637 seems to be competitive with the 2017 models of others, because they made the last race with it with decent results, lets see if it keeps competitive during the year of 2018.

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby davesails7 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 pm
I think the 2017 moses race foil was abit of a flop
I didn't think they were that competitive, but the two guys I talked too were very happy with them. One was doing much better on the Comet compared to the same fleet from last year. Can't remember what gear he was on last year though.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 pm
I think the 2017 moses race foil was abit of a flop
I didn't think they were that competitive, but the two guys I talked too were very happy with them. One was doing much better on the Comet compared to the same fleet from last year. Can't remember what gear he was on last year though.
If you mean Brian he'd been riding a Tuna

Enata
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Enata
Brand Affiliation: Enata

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby Enata » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Texaskiter wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 am
This is all great feedback. Let me expand the discussion just a bit. As I mentioned I am a heavier rider 205 pounds. I have been foiling for about two years and would call myself a solid intermediate rider. I currently own and ride the Lift NF2 with a Hypermiler board. Love the set up and find that the Lift is a great free-ride all around foil. Does everything great. However, I want to add a race foil to my quiver to go faster than my current top end (at about 20 knots my foil is maxed).

So I recently had a session on the Moses Vorace foil with a 600mm wing and whatever size stabilizer goes with it. It was significantly faster than the Lift and a little stiffer to turn. Just what I would expect. Then I had a session with the new Ghost Whisperer 111 cm which is their full on race set up. I found the Ghost Whisperer to be even faster and stiffer as I would expect. Used my board with both so kept that constant. My issue is this. Both foils clearly want to go fast (at 20 knots I was just cruising. Never found the top end on the GW.) However, I don’t like how the both foils drop me off plane when I slow down. I am sure much of this is operator error but I also think I should be able to find a foil that is fast while still allowing me to slow down without dropping me out (I.e. more forgiving). No manufacturer talks a lot about the role rider weight has in overall performance; but I have to believe that I should have a different set up than a 165 pound rider. So this is why I have interest in the Enata. I think it may work better as a high performance foil for a heavy rider.sounds like the Delta and Mikeslab would also be a good choice. Would welcome thoughts on this!
Hey, Team Enata here. We posted your question to our team of riders and this was the feedback:
The Enata foil feels a lot more stable, has better (upwind and downwind) angles, and is a bit faster than the banga. For heavier riders, the foils large front and back wings are especially useful as they create additional lift. The wigs are around the same size as the ones of the banga.
We hope that helps. If you have any other questions for the team we'd be happy to help.

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:31 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Current: Flysurfer Sonic 2's, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards. Previous: AlpineFoil Carbon 5.0, Spotz Tuna/Shark, Banga
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Enata Foil reviews?

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

plasma180 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm
I heard the new 2018 Moses Comet would be very similar to Mikes Lab!?

http://www.moseshydrofoil.com/kit-comet-111-mk111.18
If you mean that the overall front wing looks something like a MikesLab then sure but thats about it... Unless they ripped off a MikesLab, actual wing profiles for front and rear would not be similar. I can easily see changes in other aspects of the design which indicate ride would not be the same. If you handled a MikesLab and handled a Moses, the build quality is very very different. MikesLab, DeltaFoils, and very few other manufacturers are hand built works of art based on many many years of ongoing incremental development.

Moses and their foam cored mass produced foils are junk. You can help yourself to the two I know about sitting on the bottom of the bay where I kite. Check out the pics/post from earlier this year... https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... dWd0lkeVN3

Nothing wrong with mass produced but there is no comparison in the build quality between mass produced and hand made.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron