Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to lift our foils steadily?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ariel_cloud
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Qidong in China
Favorite Beaches: Pingtan in China, Tarifa in Spain, Kalpitiya in Srilanka.
Style: freeride, hydrofoil and racing.
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR18m, Speed21m, KFA MK3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to lift our foils steadily?

Postby ariel_cloud » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 am

TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 pm
I'm 50+ hours and a year into the journey.
Get more board speed.
Point your knees forward.
And All the vets here told me to keep practicing, it's true it takes more hours than other sports.

I'm getting my carves / gybes nailed now and it's hard to believe that it now is clicking and feeling the flow, after back in hour 25 thinking it's impossible.

Edit : I watched yoga video. I don't point toes of back foot backwards, but sideways. Seems to work for me, I'm bending knees to shift weight forward.

7F721A9B2C2C86633AE908C90E2185CF_001_000007.jpg
Very clear demo man, I got it. Let me sort it out.
Ariel

ariel_cloud
Rare Poster

Postby ariel_cloud » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 am

plummet wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am
Relax. Learn forward and backward more slowly. Relax. Don't fight the foil. Relax.
Did I say relax? relax!

Do what Yoda says. don't try just do!

Add a bit of speed and relax. Lean back a tad, add more speed, when you start rising out of the water lean a little forward. relax. if your getting too high lean more forward. relax!
Right, weight shift should be more gentle, sudden push at the front makes it down to the water again.
Ariel

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:51 pm

might be worth trying a different foil that's easier to ride, you should be able to foil short distances pretty comfortably within a couple hours of riding assuming ideal conditions. i can ride my ss hoverglide almost with the wing stalling going <10 kts of board speed and be totally stable, whereas other foils you have to be going much faster to keep it level

if you are riding strapless there is not much risk to falling at speed as long as you kick the board away as you fall, so just try to get your confidence up and go for it

and as with anything it just gets more natural the more you do it

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 pm

KFA mk3 is a super nice foil but takes a bit of getting used to. I moved from Spotz to KFA mk3 a while back and for a while found it difficult to ride compared to Spotz which is much smoother up onto the foil.. Now I love it but it is very sensitive to foot and track position. If you can find an experienced foiler to make sure you have it well tuned that would be a good start. If you have straps and tracks it can be more complicated to tune. It can seem very lifty at low speed but then drop suddenly. Ie will dolphin easily. For me the key with this foil was to have plenty of board speed and let it come up gently... lots of front foot pressure. It's designed to be ridden fast, and the faster it goes the more stable it gets. Try moving your front foot forward a bit more and riding faster before you foil. If you have patience you will get it and be rewarded but there are much easier beginner or intermediate foils out there. It will just take you a little longer to learn on a high performance foil. For an experienced foiler it is a magic foil ...fast, rock solid underfoot and the liftyness makes it glide well in transitions.
Personally I think there is a lot of hype and marketing out there towards mid level aluminium foils and people are bypassing foils like this. They are missing out on performance. Intermediate foils are great when it's windy or when the swell picks up but can get boring in the flat and light. Most of us got into kiting because we liked the feeling of power, being on the edge of control on a big boost, or just making it out of that close out section. Pushing a foil like the KFA to your ability limit off the wind is that same kind of big rush. So stick with it and it will come. You have a good bit of kit there.

ariel_cloud
Rare Poster

Postby ariel_cloud » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 am

Slyde wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 pm
KFA mk3 is a super nice foil but takes a bit of getting used to. I moved from Spotz to KFA mk3 a while back and for a while found it difficult to ride compared to Spotz which is much smoother up onto the foil.. Now I love it but it is very sensitive to foot and track position. If you can find an experienced foiler to make sure you have it well tuned that would be a good start. If you have straps and tracks it can be more complicated to tune. It can seem very lifty at low speed but then drop suddenly. Ie will dolphin easily. For me the key with this foil was to have plenty of board speed and let it come up gently... lots of front foot pressure. It's designed to be ridden fast, and the faster it goes the more stable it gets. Try moving your front foot forward a bit more and riding faster before you foil. If you have patience you will get it and be rewarded but there are much easier beginner or intermediate foils out there. It will just take you a little longer to learn on a high performance foil. For an experienced foiler it is a magic foil ...fast, rock solid underfoot and the liftyness makes it glide well in transitions.
Personally I think there is a lot of hype and marketing out there towards mid level aluminium foils and people are bypassing foils like this. They are missing out on performance. Intermediate foils are great when it's windy or when the swell picks up but can get boring in the flat and light. Most of us got into kiting because we liked the feeling of power, being on the edge of control on a big boost, or just making it out of that close out section. Pushing a foil like the KFA to your ability limit off the wind is that same kind of big rush. So stick with it and it will come. You have a good bit of kit there.
Right, stick with it and go for the limit. Cheers.
Ariel

Return to “Hydrofoil”