A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Liquid Force compatible surf foil wing

Postby slowboat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I would really like to try kiting with a large surf foil. I currently have the 2017 Liquid Force rocket foil. Anyone know of any surf foils that are compatible with Liquid Force?

Thanks

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Liquid Force compatible surf foil wing

Postby grigorib » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Original foil fish wing. Early planing, lower speeds. I think it’s same like yours though.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm

The "shovel" wing proved to be very good design proven by the fact that they didn't change it in three successive generations. However, I wonder how did LF miss the whole surf/sup hype -- all they needed to do is to make a bigger shovel wing with blunt LE. Out of curiosity, what is the shovel surface area?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm
The "shovel" wing proved to be very good design proven by the fact that they didn't change it in three successive generations. However, I wonder how did LF miss the whole surf/sup hype -- all they needed to do is to make a bigger shovel wing with blunt LE. Out of curiosity, what is the shovel surface area?

Yes, some are using the old wing here for waveriding and freestyle.

As I recall in memory it is around 820-840 cm2 in surface area (bigger than even my huge marginal wind wing also used as a windfoil wing), quite "lifty" and turns okay, so works for waves :D

8) PF

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blancoh2o » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 am

:D
I have been riding some of LFs new wing designs.
The surfy style you are after will be released real soon.
These wings have an amazing lift coificient. They plane up easily, are super stable and all speeds, recover from a cavitation situation without crashing, keep foiling even without any power in the kite and can be pumped to create speed. They are made of a glass carbon composite and a full carbon fuselage will be available.
Even with an aluminum mast, the board stays on rail when you are not riding it. This makes it a lot easier to ride strapless. The heavy fuselages sink and then you have to use the kites power to stick your feet to the deck. I can't post photos yet but as soon as I get the approval, I can show them to the world. 😃

GCKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Navarre Fl.
Style: Old style, waves, endless downwinders
Gear: Slingshot, Flysurfer, LF foil fish, Airush, Moses fluente
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GCKiter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 pm

That's great to here LF is coming out with a surf wing. I've been using my old Foil Fish wing for riding waves and it does a decent job for just cruising and slow carving. I hope it's compatible with the original fuselage. Look forward to see this soon.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:54 pm

blancoh2o wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 am
:D
I have been riding some of LFs new wing designs.
The surfy style you are after will be released real soon.
These wings have an amazing lift coificient. They plane up easily, are super stable and all speeds, recover from a cavitation situation without crashing, keep foiling even without any power in the kite and can be pumped to create speed. They are made of a glass carbon composite and a full carbon fuselage will be available.
Even with an aluminum mast, the board stays on rail when you are not riding it. This makes it a lot easier to ride strapless. The heavy fuselages sink and then you have to use the kites power to stick your feet to the deck. I can't post photos yet but as soon as I get the approval, I can show them to the world. 😃
Thanks for the info. Since I posted this question, I found one reference online to the "impulse" wings. I assume this is what you are referring to. Any idea on release date? Are they slower than the rocket foil wings?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 pm
Yes, some are using the old wing here for waveriding and freestyle.

As I recall in memory it is around 820-840 cm2 in surface area (bigger than even my huge marginal wind wing also used as a windfoil wing), quite "lifty" and turns okay, so works for waves :D

8) PF
I dunno that will work for surfing tho..it will definitely work for kiting, but not for surfing (I would think). The medium surf wings from Naish is over 1000cm2. I'm wondering if the Naish system is compatible with the LF mast? Does any one know? If that is the case you might get away with just the wing, stabilizer wing and fuselage.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Ive been asking LF for this for a year, since I have a lot of their foil components and like them.
Weird that they missed the boat considering it's not exactly rocket science and would be perfect with their modular systems and they would sell quite a few I imagine, even to regular surfers wanting to foilsurf.

I ended up buying the Chinese Takuma instead and it's awesome.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Ive been asking LF for this for a year, since I have a lot of their foil components and like them.
Weird that they missed the boat considering it's not exactly rocket science and would be perfect with their modular systems and they would sell quite a few I imagine, even to regular surfers wanting to foilsurf.

I ended up buying the Chinese Takuma instead and it's awesome.
Liquid Force is responding:

https://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-n ... ng-in-hot/

Return to “Hydrofoil”