Brand Affiliation: None

Re: wings for using smallest kite possible

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 pm
TomW wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm
Snip...

I'm looking to a bigger step down to slow and fun for some conditions. My thinking is 1. Light conditions. 2. Choppy, wavy, and confused water where slower speeds are more manageable, probably windy.

Snip...

Amazing so different we are...

For light conditions the big wings are awesome.

But for choppy wave confused water, and more wind, a long mast and a faster wing is IMO way easier and more fun to ride for me :thumb:

Probably just individual differences :roll:

8) PF
Actually, I don't know WTF I'm talking about. when it's wild out, which as you know it is often up here, the waves confused, short period wind waves, cross chop on top, current.
My totally noob hypothesis was if I'm going slower I can adjust to water and waves easier, smaller kite means less power to handle in higher winds. Plus when it's windier we have waves, and the slow wing would be better on a wave. I'm talking about 16-22 knots. These kind of winds it's variable wind. 5-8 knot variance over 5 minutes.
Perhaps this is all wrong

In lighter winds 12-15 knots, the water is smoother, less wind swell. So then I'd rather have a faster more efficient wing and use a bigger kite. Where I use my 550 wing very well.

10-14 knots a bigger wing might open up some fun and easiest way to learn transitions.

Maybe my ideal foil quiver should be:
Vorace GT 101 mast with faster 558 wing.
Fluente 93 mast with Onda surf/sup wing.
I have the 550 /330 wings and fuselage I could use on both masts as in between.

A lot of money... Instead : Was thinking get the Onda wings/fuselage first. I'm not finding the 550/330 slow at this point...

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 am

TomW wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 pm
TomW wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm
Snip...

I'm looking to a bigger step down to slow and fun for some conditions. My thinking is 1. Light conditions. 2. Choppy, wavy, and confused water where slower speeds are more manageable, probably windy.

Snip...

Amazing so different we are...

For light conditions the big wings are awesome.

But for choppy wave confused water, and more wind, a long mast and a faster wing is IMO way easier and more fun to ride for me :thumb:

Probably just individual differences :roll:

8) PF
Actually, I don't know WTF I'm talking about. when it's wild out, which as you know it is often up here, the waves confused, short period wind waves, cross chop on top, current.
My totally noob hypothesis was if I'm going slower I can adjust to water and waves easier, smaller kite means less power to handle in higher winds. Plus when it's windier we have waves, and the slow wing would be better on a wave. I'm talking about 16-22 knots. These kind of winds it's variable wind. 5-8 knot variance over 5 minutes.
Perhaps this is all wrong

In lighter winds 12-15 knots, the water is smoother, less wind swell. So then I'd rather have a faster more efficient wing and use a bigger kite. Where I use my 550 wing very well.

10-14 knots a bigger wing might open up some fun and easiest way to learn transitions.

Maybe my ideal foil quiver should be:
Vorace GT 101 mast with faster 558 wing.
Fluente 93 mast with Onda surf/sup wing.
I have the 550 /330 wings and fuselage I could use on both masts as in between.

A lot of money... Instead : Was thinking get the Onda wings/fuselage first. I'm not finding the 550/330 slow at this point...
The challenge in waves is figuring out how to slow down enough to turn.

This is a big challenge if you use the kite power to come over the wave and onto the face, you just end up with too much speed. This has been the case for me on the 660cm2 up to 1200cm2 wings. But I definitely have less speed on the bigger wing and bit more control.

So I am changing my approach to get come onto the wave from behind at angle, or de-power immediately I get to the face and/or come up to wave and turn on the face without using the kite power.

Upside, it's a great learning experience about what does or does not work.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Bigtone,

This is my limited experience too. I come charging over the back of a wave, and down the face so fast that I'm sometimes crashing. Can't slow down given the wind and wave direction. And I'm using a slow LEI kite.
And sometimes, going out through the super short period waves I can't adjust altitude, I'm going too fast.

Return to “Hydrofoil”