Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How if fix damaged carbon wings

Postby yomotha » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Foil wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:30 pm
Flipping heck!
And I thought my wing was scratched, that's mega scratched, but unlike mine, yours is mostly on the top wing surface, where mine are damaged on the front edge and bottom surface.
That's the bottom of the wing; it's a 2017 lift wing. It's from grazing over coral reef before I knew the areas to stay away from. Still rides fine, just looks like sh#t and I'd like to clean it up before it gets worse and then doesn't ride so fine. :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Use a filler putty, or mix epoxy and micro glass balloons. fill, sand, fill, sand, paint with a primer, wet sand.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby yomotha » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 am

The glazing compound or filler putty will leave the surface looking blotchy I'd assume since they don't dry clear. Since it's a small area, I wouldn't need a lot of epoxy. What type of epoxy would work well? I've never used epoxy before. Sanding off the entire surface to apply a new clear coat seems like too much work and I'd probably opt for the glazing compound or putty option instead at that point. Epoxy seems like I could get an acceptable looking result with a bit less work perhaps.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 am

If that was mine then I would fill the scratches with glazing compound or epoxy paste, smooth it, lightly sand it, spray paint it, then sand and polish it to the final finish. Once you have the paint surface you can re-paint and sand all you want without damaging the underlying carbon.

The paste I use can be smoothed with denatured alcohol/methylated spirits. I often tape over the repair or use cling wrap to get a relatively smooth finish.

The other thing is to be a bit more careful where and how you ride. We know the bottom of our beaches and know which areas we can ride in close and which to keep clear of. You get guys constantly riding over a known shallow reef, then they're surprised when they crash into it.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Straight epoxy is too hard to be pleasant for thin spot repairs. You need to cut it with filler to make it nicely sandable. The glazing looks like hell after but is smooth as a babies butt. I would consider glazing and painting and sanding. Many race prepped setups look all blotchy white because that is what they are doing, using paint as the fairing compound. It looks cool I think.

Return to “Hydrofoil”