Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nigel no mates

Postby plummet » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 am

downunder wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 am
As Plummet says, lonely Nigel :)

This is true. there are 2.2 foilers at my local. But my local is challenging with high winds, big swell, shore break and subsurface boulders and rocks. It's not for the faint hearted. But i go to the east coast where the swell is smaller and theres foils all over the place. I'm not just talking on kiteboards., sup foils, windsurf foils, E foils, surf foils. Lets face it. Foils are here to stay. They wont ever be main stream due to the challenges learning. But for the select few they will bring big grins.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:25 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:39 am
The best and worst thing about hydrofoiling in a location where there are very few foilers is that when the wind is light you are nigel no mates.

Discuss!
Its one of the reasons why I stopped foiling back in oh 2012 or whenever it was. In addition to it being hard to control that foil at higher speeds. It was fun being the one out while everyone else sat waiting in the peanut gallery.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:04 am

DukeSilver wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am
downunder wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 am
^
Would you tell Toby this?

How primitive look his tricks? C'mon...You were never on 10% of his level (apologizes if you were). Even Plummet says truthfully that himself was never into tricks, just boosting.

Be fair to yourself and say how many times we were approached with the statement: that looks so easy, I would loove to try it, where can I do that?

How many times a HF rider was approached with the same statement? And we talking that a HF will pickup over time...No way. Just like the Foil speed boats, they never really picked up.

Think of 3D printing, it was like a "Holly Grail, every single kid will print the toys". That did not happen and never will.

andylc wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 pm
Foils are just another option, not a revolution, and are especially useful for middle aged guys with disposable income.

This. Just rock up one any beach and see it for yourself. I agree, we getting older so it's pleasing on our body. It also means we have f
Why I'm in it? Because I've built my HF and want to try refining it. That's the only reason.
Wow, what's with the anti-foiling rant?! Every time I see you at the river you are looking at our foils with great interest and saying how you can't wait to finish building your foil. When I gave you a 30 min lesson on my gear you were super excited and letting out whoops of delight when you popped up on the foil for a second and couldn't stop smiling after. What has happened since then?

I agree, Air-style does look fantastic and watching Toby kite is indeed awe inspiring. If that's what you want to do with your kiting, you should pursue it. You are a good and stylish kiter on a TT. But you have to understand, I and probably many of the foilers on here used to ride a TT. Some were probably pretty good on a TT - maybe not Toby level - but who is? And many on this foiling forum now foil almost ...

H
Nope, this is not about the anti foiling and I did not comment any individual cases.

It is about the future of it and the claim that will only grow. Remember, many hf riders were talked into it, the best tt riders were not. None of the best tt riders will sell a tt. Same with core wave riders etc.

We should promote a TT as much as we can, as the only way to keep this sport alive, since in reality, the numbers are dropping (a few shops are closing atm in WA, right?).

Also, as a tool it only does limited functions. Very limited, noted by other ppl on this thread as well. It is not only me who thinks the same. This forum is watched by non english speakers as well, who do not reply that often.

Maybe I will be all in hf riding, who knows. But to say that a TT is a primitive tool (top of this post), is not fair, dont u think? Thats ok, I understand, but still.

No worries, we can talk in person.
Last edited by downunder on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:07 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am
And how much wind does he need to throw buckets with a 14m kite?
A little, he is one of the best.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:47 am

Whatever. He needs at least 13 knots or its pretty lame.

8M weather on foil.

Efficiency.... TT is primitive as f***. Fun with loads of power on tap. But everything below well powered kinda sucks. Your right, loads of kiters will never know any better.

You can do whatever you want but maybe hold off telling us what foiling is and isn't like until you know.

Racing did a lot of the work, but that shit is niche! It is precisely the feel of carving powder that will attract the bulk of foilers moving forward.

You'll get over the spray thing. You get more than enough in trade.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:40 am

Side note. You can spray with a hydrofoil. Easy peasy. Do an awesome powered carve to purposefully touch down laying in a decent lump of spray before foiling off again. Or slide straight through the chop purposefully touching down on the peaks for spray action

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 am

Interesting discussion. I bought a foil in 2016 tried it a couple of times without much success & didn't use it at all in 2017. The local wind direction/shoreline makes it quite challenging.

The local scene is almost entirely SB - very few experienced riders on TTs. I haven't seen any local SB riders switching to foiling. The foilers I see mostly seem to be into big floaty (often Flysurfer floaty) jumps. This is completely different from SB riding - more like TT riding. On the other hand watching a good foiler zipping around carving smooth turns with a small kite seems closer to the appeal of riding a SB. It seems like there's a move to more carving-oriented foils.

The turn-offs for me: 1) giving up a perfectly nice day on a SB in order to flounder around learning to foil.
2) foiling actually looks weirdly unappealing.
3) feeling the water surface - especially carving waves on a SB - is the most appealing thing about kiting. It's hard to picture giving that up.

For an old dude foiling seems a sensible activity... once you get beyond the humiliating learning process, so this year I'm intending to make a more committed effort. :-?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:13 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 am
Interesting discussion. I bought a foil in 2016 tried it a couple of times without much success & didn't use it at all in 2017. The local wind direction/shoreline makes it quite challenging.

The local scene is almost entirely SB - very few experienced riders on TTs. I haven't seen any local SB riders switching to foiling. The foilers I see mostly seem to be into big floaty (often Flysurfer floaty) jumps. This is completely different from SB riding - more like TT riding. On the other hand watching a good foiler zipping around carving smooth turns with a small kite seems closer to the appeal of riding a SB. It seems like there's a move to more carving-oriented foils.

The turn-offs for me: 1) giving up a perfectly nice day on a SB in order to flounder around learning to foil.
2) foiling actually looks weirdly unappealing.
3) feeling the water surface - especially carving waves on a SB - is the most appealing thing about kiting. It's hard to picture giving that up.

For an old dude foiling seems a sensible activity... once you get beyond the humiliating learning process, so this year I'm intending to make a more committed effort. :-?
Indeed it is hard to beet a good wave day with good wind. But what about the average and shitty days? lets face it theres more shitty days than good. On those days i see SB guys slapping around in the chop attempting to ride ankle biter waves.
Now consider for a second that on the foil you have an inbuilt 3 foot wace under your board. At any monent you can give it like being on a wave face. Imagine your glee whan a shitty day becomes an awesome day.

Also imagine that surf break thats 2km upwind of your launch site. Its just too hard and takes too long to get there so you never do on the SB. Imagine a few tacks and you are there. Riding the virgin surf break tthat no one else can get too. Thats the advantage of the foil for sb riders.

Is it the same as riding a wave? no it isnt. its an all togther different sensation. it is true that you are less connected to the surface. But you are more connection to the water itself. You feel the current and lift of the wave through the foik. Its something you cant experience on the surface. Is it better or is it worse? Neither. Its different.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 am

Well said plummet :thumb:

It is actually so much fun, that sometimes when we are out in GOOD wave conditions on surfboards, we get the occasional thought "what if I were out on my foil now :D " - really weird but what happens when you ride a lot of waves.

We have (really) good surfboard wave conditions a lot more rare than foil days (with or without waves), so we love riding surfboards in these and never go out in less so no mediocre or lousy waveconditions ever again, which in itself is great.

This is why it is quite amazing that the stray thoughts that appears now and then in these awesome wave conditions, WHAT if I had my foil here, says something about the addiction :naughty:

Sometimes one does both on a given day/spot, that is the coolest thing ever, but it requires rigging two extremely different kitesizes of course, and as top wave conditions are more rare it is usually the surfboards that I choose.

8) PF

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Flyboy,

In Ontario and especially Erie lakes, the wind builds thru day, then falls with waning sun. Start day by foiling on flat water until wind,waves are in. Then SB. Then when wind lets up, foil the left over swell. They are each very different rides and very different conditions. But same spot.
Once you’ve got skills for this, most days work for a session (or 3). Depending on your time schedule, you will really increase session count.

The swell riding will blow your mind, especially if you like SB riding in waves.

Return to “Hydrofoil”