Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 am

I have asked these questions over on the Kitesurf forum. I suspect that foilers might be more up on using technology to record sessions and some of the issues I am thinking of. Hopefully some of you will have experience of the watches and be able to offer some sensible advice.

My plan is to get an Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular to use as a communication device when foiling. I want to do longer coastal run and it would be good to be able to call in a ride if I get stuck somewhere along the coast. The people at home could check where I am whenever they wanted. It would also be good to call in the emergency services if I need rescue.

I have SPOT and Inreach devices but they have limited communications options and are a lot more bulky than wearing a simple watch/phone.

A couple of questions:
- sports band or sports loop? The sports band is solid plastic with a single pin and a slot. It does not look very secure. The sports loop is a webbing strip with velcro. It looks a lot more secure and there is probably enough length to wear it over a wetsuit. Is the band secure enough? Is the loop more secure?

- Is there a suitable app for recording GPS tracks that will allow downloading and analysis after? I currently use a Garmin and the Garmin Connect web site is not too bad for looking at track logs.

Thanks

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular

Postby CaliRider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 am

A dude in SoCal used his watch to call for help when he got caught offshore while foiling a few weeks ago. saved his ass since we have big sharks here. LOL

get the xenser sessions app. (I think I replied to you in the other thread, yo?)

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:12 am

I’m getting the same watch with the Velcro strap, and maybe think about leashing it to my wrist. Waterproof Bluetooth headphones with mic to listen to music and answer phone also.

I haven’t looked at gps yet.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 am

Nearby boats and the coast guard are all using marine radios and actively monitoring channel 16. A marine radio should be your first choice for offshore communication/safety. It would be really stupid to have difficulty and not be able to call a passing boat because you don't have their number.

A cellular watch or phone in a waterproof bag is a nice accessory but a handheld marine radio in a waterproof bag is really mandatory for offshore kiting. By law, all boats have one.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtWatch

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 am

Sorry, I did not make it clear that the "coast" I am referring to is very urban and I ride close inshore. If I went far out into the ocean then I might consider taking other safety gear. This is just day to day riding with longer blasts along the beach. I am looking to avoid inconvenience and to have a backup communications capability.

Even the ocean spots I ride have good cellular coverage and are relatively enclosed. It is better by far to have a decent device that is always there and always on, than to have the "perfect" gear that is too bulky for regular use.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 pm

My guess, is how the stock sport band fits you is key to it staying in place. I’ve been kiting with sport band for two years. Mine fits with plenty of extra strap tucked in the slot. It may not look secure, but when you try one, it “feels” more secure than any watch band I’ve used.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:48 pm

I’m also thinking about getting a dive housing for the watch for added protection against water infiltration.

I like the idea mention of a marine radio, and have also been considering a personal locator beacon and like the small one called PLB1.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:11 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 am
Sorry, I did not make it clear that the "coast" I am referring to is very urban and I ride close inshore. If I went far out into the ocean then I might consider taking other safety gear. This is just day to day riding with longer blasts along the beach. I am looking to avoid inconvenience and to have a backup communications capability.

Even the ocean spots I ride have good cellular coverage and are relatively enclosed. It is better by far to have a decent device that is always there and always on, than to have the "perfect" gear that is too bulky for regular use.
Doesn't matter... Primary on water communication on oceans and inland waterways is marine radio. $99 gets you a decent floating handheld unit. Purchase whatever phone you like... Many of us have been carrying around iPhones in a waterproof bag for years, but if you are considering using it for any rescue, you are better off with a marine radio.

I also have a plb and some years back a Spot... Problem with those devices is when activated, a shit ton of rescue resources are deployed to find you... Really should be used in a true life and death situation.

Having owned and sailed on boats for years, cell phone reception is surprisingly crappy on the water especially if you are floating on the surface in swells.

Since salt water and aluminum don't play nice, the steel or ceramic iwatch are the only ones that make sense. So for ~$600 you are purchasing something that is not designed for impacting with water (depth rating is so so and buddy has had his replaced already).... A small prepaid cell phone in a waterproof case under your wetsuit will set you back less than $100.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:34 am

I have the new Apple Watch, I used the Strava App to record my session and the battery ran low. The session was record for 2 hours 20 minutes and then stopped, I was out for 4 hours.

I only used it once while on the water so really did not get to check how easy it is to send a message or make a call. There may be some setting for extending the GPS record time for longer.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:12 am
I’m getting the same watch with the Velcro strap, and maybe think about leashing it to my wrist. Waterproof Bluetooth headphones with mic to listen to music and answer phone also.

I haven’t looked at gps yet.
Good luck with the waterproof headphones. I’ve been looking for years without much luck.

Return to “Hydrofoil”