Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is your HF kite quiver?

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 am
I was a very keen foil kite rider in the early days of kitesurfing. I might return to foils some day. There are two big impediments. One is the cost of foils. One foil kite would cost more than my entire quiver of Switch kites. The other is the general convenience of the LEI. Quickly pump them up. Go kiting. Easy self landing. Easy handling on the beach. No grovelling in the sand.
Racers quite last years foil kite every year for these years "so much faster" foil. So you can actually pick up a second hand race kite that's 1 year old and freaken fantastic for around the $1k mark.
In the light winds that you would use a foil kite in (I suggest 12m 6-12 knots) a foil kite is faster to launch, floats better in the air, goes upwind a farktonne better than an lei and is as easy to land and pack away.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 pm
You asked the same a year ago plummet, but maybe you want a "new" update, as some has changed gear of course, and there are many new hydrofoilers now too :D

Whats your hf kite quiver?

8) PF
This is great! :)

My quiver changed quite a bit.

This was back then:
Frank Rosin wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 pm
My current quiver with estimated windranges I currently use them the most (but not only):
9m Ozone R1 <15kts (19m and 14m lines)
7m Ozone R1 13-20kts (14m lines)
6m Ozone R1 15-25kts (14m, 12m and 10m lines)
6m Ozone Enduro 20-30kts (14m and 12m lines)
4m Ozone Enduro 30-45kts (14m lines)

I am 85kg.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil
And this is what I mostly used the last few months and most likely the next few winter months to come:

19m R1 <12kts (18m and 14m lines)
17m R1 8-16kts (14m lines)
9m Hyperlink 12-25kts (14m lines)
7m Hyperlink 20-30kts (12m lines)
5m Hyperlink 25-45kts (12m lines)

Wind ranges are not what is possible, but how I use them mostly.

I still own, but haven't ridden in a while, smaller R1s, 5m Edge and 4m Enduro.
On Moses hydrofoils mostly, all of them ;)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
Hey Frank,

Can you give me a review between hyperlink and endure? Why the switch? do you do a lot of snowkiting in winter?
What advantage do you see in hyperlink to enduro on the water particularly in high wind?

I flew the 12m hyperlink and liked it. it was nice and stable. But for me it lacked the wizbang of my old Chrono V1, I also didn't get the impression that it would be any better than my lei's in high wind. however I only tried the one size!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

This thread is interesting in the fact that there is 2 distinct groups. The upwind charging high speed race foilers arming them selves with high aspect foil kites and the down wind carving wave riding crew arming themselves with low strut light weight lei's and carving foils.

There doesn't seem to be many in between crew that do a bit of both or have an intermediate quiver.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

plummet wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm
This thread is interesting in the fact that there is 2 distinct groups. The upwind charging high speed race foilers arming them selves with high aspect foil kites and the down wind carving wave riding crew arming themselves with low strut light weight lei's and carving foils.

There doesn't seem to be many in between crew that do a bit of both or have an intermediate quiver.

So true - in reality here we dont see anyone "between" either...
But we see three groups.

The first years of foiling, some dont know what they want - which is pretty normal, so you wobble around trying to carve and turn and go fast and high/deep - everything.
It takes some years to learn, and to find what is "you" for a lot of riders.

Many starts on race gear, and continue as they know this is what they want.
Some starts on (used) race gear, as this is what the fast guys ride and it looks incredible and they are easy to buy from the racers - later then they find they want to carve and do freestyle or waves instead, but it might take some years to learn. A few continue without racing as they like the idea of performance.
Have for some reason never seen anyone go the other way here - starting on a beginner foil and then ending on race gear later :roll:

There is a typical trend regarding kites too here:
Racers foil kites only, a few got small LEI when REALLY windy but not many.
"Wannabee" racers mixed, some foil kites, others dont like these and stay with "safe" LEI kites.
Freeriders/freestylers/waveriders only LEI kites, and light LEI ones in the big ones or maybe a foil kite for light or marginal winds, but very rare, usually a wrong investment for those having a heavy LEI 12 m2 to start with, which dont work at all for their liking.

The three groups seen here is:
Racers.
Wannabe racers, using race gear, like speed and to ride with the racers eventhough they can not match these at all, or just loving the performance out there and to practice jibes and tacks eventually, but riding a lot in straight lines.
Freeride/freestyle/wave.

Not that many in the middle group here, but still some, and I somewhat suspect them to be those who has not really decided yet just riding with the race gear they started on, but it could also be fascination of performance but not wanting foil kites hassle and dont race much or at all.

Have NEVER seen anyone doing both styles, so it makes sense this thread will reveal the typical either or :D

8) PF

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 am
75kg
185cm
J Shapes 155cm board
95cm mast
J Shapes Freeride foil
j Shapes Cruzer foil (low aspect my favourite toy by a long way)

Switch Element 5 5m >20 knots
Element 4 7m >15 knots
Element 5 10m >10 knots
Helium 2 15.5 <10 knots

I can get a fair bit more lower end out of the small kites. I can get a lot more top end out of all the kites but that depends on what I am doing and the conditions. It's easy to ride way overpowered in straight lines with smooth water.

The main reason for using Switch kites is they are super cheap and very good kites.

I was a very keen foil kite rider in the early days of kitesurfing. I might return to foils some day. There are two big impediments. One is the cost of foils. One foil kite would cost more than my entire quiver of Switch kites. The other is the general convenience of the LEI. Quickly pump them up. Go kiting. Easy self landing. Easy handling on the beach. No grovelling in the sand.
I'm curious -- what is your low end on the Helium 15.5?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Quite a bit of that quiver choice would be driven by your local conditions. Those who get lots of 6-10kts would seek top performance in their quiver and would gear it towards foils, while those blessed with stronger winds and waves wouldn't rush at all doing that.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Moses carbon T 60 board.
91 & 101 masts
Wings_ 550/548/590 ( and medium Gong G10 )
Stabs_ 325/330
Fuse_ both "2017&18
Kites
F One Breeze 15mtr
Ozone Reo 12mtr
F One Bandits_ 7/8/9/10 (12 for T Tip only)
North 24 MTR Click Bars
My need for speed will see me buying the Moses race wing and stabiliser,and some sort of speed watch.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

plummet wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Hey Frank,

Can you give me a review between hyperlink and endure? Why the switch? do you do a lot of snowkiting in winter?
What advantage do you see in hyperlink to enduro on the water particularly in high wind?

I flew the 12m hyperlink and liked it. it was nice and stable. But for me it lacked the wizbang of my old Chrono V1, I also didn't get the impression that it would be any better than my lei's in high wind. however I only tried the one size!
I am only foiling, all year.
My plan was to test the Hyperlink to know what to tell customers about it, but then I kept riding it and riding it, and adding sizes to my personla quiver and being very keen on the arrival of the 5m which came later.
Not the Hyperlink is my main kite. A big surprise for myself.
Why do I enjoy it that much?
Well, mostly because it is that easy, predictable,... it gives me a very big sweet spot combined with a very safe feeling in basically any conditions.
Before I often used the Enduro in 6m and 8m in stronger and gusty conditions but now actually feel the Hyperlink does handle this as good or better plus some extra features like nice lift/support during maneuvers, bigger range, bigger sweet spot, actually mostly easier relauch. This is a point I tested a lot in the beginning and was very impressed! But really if I do not try any stupid stuff when I do not care, it is kind of hard to get it in the water...
But that stupid things or dropping it on purpose I did a lot when it was new, as I wanted to know how it handles it. And I felt more confident to relaunch it than I ever have before with any other kite. Still kind of a weird sensation to me.
So yeah, the Hyperlink gives me a lot of confidence, for example when doing bigger crossing, or longer runs along the coast or within our city bay with quite different wind conditions, the Hyperlink makes it relativetly easy, safe or even possible (due to being confident and actually going for these trips).
As mentioned earlier I use 12m and 14m lines on all sizes of the HL. Currently do not have the 12m in use, but if I had I would have two different bars for it, one with 14m and one with 18m lines for the very low end.

plummet wrote: This thread is interesting in the fact that there is 2 distinct groups. The upwind charging high speed race foilers arming them selves with high aspect foil kites and the down wind carving wave riding crew arming themselves with low strut light weight lei's and carving foils.

I think I am doing a bit of everything (if you can call it high speed charging being strapless only), as long as it is fun...
This was fun today, on the 5m Hyperlink in about 35kts and Moses new race wing set playing downwind in wind waves with quite fast carving turns.

24819122_10155410993998051_1846769377_o.png
Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am

I feel like an impoverished minimalist.

9m Best Cabo. 11-17 kts
7m Best Cabo. 15-23 kts

That’s it. 85 kg. OBX resident. $700 invested in both kites and a bar (2015 models, essentially new)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 am

Dave K wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am
I feel like an impoverished minimalist.

9m Best Cabo. 11-17 kts
7m Best Cabo. 15-23 kts

That’s it. 85 kg. OBX resident. $700 invested in both kites and a bar (2015 models, essentially new)
Nothing wrong with that.
I have everything from sweet f*** to 50 bastards of wind, flat wind chop to 6m swell and monster surf. If i want to take advantage of the conditions I need a variety of kites to.choose from

Return to “Hydrofoil”