Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil balance question

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


slowboat
Medium Poster
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BRM, Shinn, North, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil balance question

Postby slowboat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:18 am

Still pretty new with foiling but am becoming very comfortable foiling in a straight line in both directions. Problem I am having is as I build up speed (especially upwind), the foil starts to nosedive. It's almost like I can't put enough BACK foot pressure. I am using a Liquid Force Rocket foil with Slingshot Alien Air board. The foil is mounted at approx 3.75 cm. I wonder if I should move foil forward some more.

Thanks for your thoughts.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5455
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Foil balance question

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 am

From the pictures they looks similar to the Fun Foil, and that had a habit of diving at speed. It was probably the primary reason I wanted to move on.

Get your back foot further behind the foil so you can Ollie it back up... Move the mounting point if you must. You can get used to it and prepare for the dip and ride it out, but it's more fun riding a well-behaved foil.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One
Contact:

Re: Foil balance question

Postby windmaker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 am

Try shimming your back wing in such a way that the trailing edge (back of stabilizer) is 1 or 2mm higher than at present.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Foil balance question

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 am

windmaker wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 am
Try shimming your back wing in such a way that the trailing edge (back of stabilizer) is 1 or 2mm higher than at present.
This!

Your rear stabilizer is set up wrong. Most likely upside down or shimmed opposite to what it should be. Front foot pressure should increase as you go faster.......

phpBB [video]


Image

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Foil balance question

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:55 am

Agree, it seems your rear stabilizer should be trimmed a bit yes.
Maybe the fuselage is bent if it has never been trimmed, and seeks down now ?

Disagree that foils should push up at higher speeds though - for beginner foils yes it is better this way for the first learning period, but when past that, many likes a neutral foil that dont need moving your balance point when going faster.

Even the biggest cambered wings can be adjusted with the right stabilizer to NOT push up (nor down), no matter how high the speed.

Some dont understand this, as they think a wing will always "seek up" when going faster if it is a really lifting wing - but no, it wont, it will just have more drag than a smaller more flat wing, and need a longer fuselage or bigger stabilizer, to be okay easily controllable.

8) PF

slowboat
Medium Poster
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BRM, Shinn, North, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil balance question

Postby slowboat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 am
From the pictures they looks similar to the Fun Foil, and that had a habit of diving at speed. It was probably the primary reason I wanted to move on.

Get your back foot further behind the foil so you can Ollie it back up... Move the mounting point if you must. You can get used to it and prepare for the dip and ride it out, but it's more fun riding a well-behaved foil.
The LF beginner foil wing has not changed, it has just been renamed. (the current fuselage is longer).

Will shimming correct this without introducing other problems or am I just facing the limitations of this wing?

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Foil balance question

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 am

No other problems, as you are past the first learning phase now - so just go ahead and shim the stabilizer.

8) PF

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5455
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Foil balance question

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:04 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 am
From the pictures they looks similar to the Fun Foil, and that had a habit of diving at speed. It was probably the primary reason I wanted to move on.

Get your back foot further behind the foil so you can Ollie it back up... Move the mounting point if you must. You can get used to it and prepare for the dip and ride it out, but it's more fun riding a well-behaved foil.
The LF beginner foil wing has not changed, it has just been renamed. (the current fuselage is longer).

Will shimming correct this without introducing other problems or am I just facing the limitations of this wing?
I think it's a limitation of the wing itself, but looks like I'm in the minority :D Nothing to lose by trying a shim. You're going to want to put that under the front bolt though, and IIRC the fuse sits in a groove in the wing, so shape the shim nicely. I could imagine that if you just wedge a washer under there, you'll damage the finish.

User avatar
irwe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 am
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil balance question

Postby irwe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I ride the Manta 1 and Manta 2 foils with the back of the plate at 5 cm on the AA and found this to be the most comfortable. I know there are different foils but it can't hurt trying your foil at this position.

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil balance question

Postby davesails7 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah that was the experience I had when I tried the foil fish also. I don't know if shimming helps. It is a fairly sudden breakdown of loft when you push it.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron