Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First foil trip. Perth-Exmouth 3 weeks starting next week

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

First foil trip. Perth-Exmouth 3 weeks starting next week

Postby Dave K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Family tent camping from Perth to Exmouth. Any particular foil specific advice? Ideal novice locations (inside reef,lagoons)? Sharkies? I’ve searched and have few roughly picked out. Just bringing my 70cm mast (RRD h-flight and Happy foil board), 10,6 Air rush Dna’s (daughter’s kites; she’s my Kiting partner! even though she just rides a tt right now) and my 7m Cabo for foiling. I figure there’ll be enough afternoon thermal days over 15 kts for the 7m to work just fine. Otherwise I’d bring my 9m for lighter wind days. Definitely not trying to ride every day.

I’d luv to bring more kites/gear but we’re already maxed on allowable checked weight without extra fees, and this is not a kite-only vacation. Also assuming the “golf” bag routine is still effective for board travel(?) Sure reads that way on the web site of our airline. Thanks for any advice!

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Re: First foil trip. Perth-Exmouth 3 weeks starting next week

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

There are some of the most beautiful kiting beaches in the world along the Ningaloo Reef. For foiling, try Sandy Bay and Wobiri Access. Graveyards is a terrific place to ride waves but would be dangerous to foil as the reef can be shallow.

You will see many sharks, turtles, rays and maybe the occasional whale. Enjoy that privilage. The water up there is ALIVE! It is a pristine environment.

You may need a smaller kite than a 7m if you're foiling. It absolutely howls in Exmouth / Ningaloo over the summer months.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Dave sounds like an amazing experience to look forward to. Sorry I can't suggest anything.

However, quick question. What travel bag have you found that the Happy Foil (assuming 4'10"") fits into. Thanks.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Wobiri Access added to the Exmouth list. I’ll probably pass on trying to foil Graveyards at my skill level. A few spots in Shark Bay look pretty decent and we’ll also check out some spots closer to Perth. That 6m is the smallest I have so I’ll either go earlier in the day or ride without the foil (nice flexibility with the Happy Foil).

The bag I found for my 4’10” Happy F is an NP 150 “golf” travel bag. Snug fit but still enough room to get lots of padding in. Wider and flatter than the typical “golf” surf bag

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 pm

I foiled around ningaloo when I did a kite trip up to Exmouth. Otherwise I was on my surfboard in most places. Gnarloo is awesome if you get good conditions.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Dave. Have a great vacation.

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Bletti wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 pm
I foiled around ningaloo when I did a kite trip up to Exmouth. Otherwise I was on my surfboard in most places. Gnarloo is awesome if you get good conditions.
We’re doing a night or 2 at Quobba Station which is maybe 1 1/2 hrs from Gnarloo. Added to the list. Too many places not enough time.......

Return to “Hydrofoil”