revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: carving to toe

Postby revhed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 pm

When you are up foiling, you will accelerate like crazy when you downloop the kite, and your arc while doing this will not be a curve - so what happens is your kite turns towards the new direction, you continue downwind - and in a few seconds you will find yourself with slack lines, kite dropping in the water maybe out to the other side :(

Even if you manage to make a full carve foiling and get to the new tack, you will lose ALL pull and drop down, as the kite has searched to the new edge and you lose all power.

with a downloop you are commited to a very limited (and high) power range.

8) PF
P F is going to think I read his posts looking for something to disagree with and must say this time it is for sure.
The above posts written as true are not.
I only reply because many who read think he knows all, he does indeed know a lot but often states ideas that I must take issue with.
I, we kite down turn fully flying jibes say 80% of the time, and many sessions not even one up turn jibe is done.
We DO NOT "accelerate like crazy" , have "slack lines" "loose ALL pull" , "kite in water" or are "commited to a very limited power range".
Those reading this who have spent a fair amount of time KBHFing will know and understand that in fact down turns while doing a jibe using proper timing
can be much better and other than tacking and almost the only choice in ultra lite wind.
The fact is that gravity helps the kite when doing a down turn as opposed to hindering it when flying up.
So based on where in the window and the radius the kite down turn can pull for much less time with less power than an up, and inverse, pull for much longer with more power being a great aid in lowind.
I also must take issue with calling a down TURN a loop as the kite does NOT fully loop,
this must be stressed as one can do a FULL loop when doing jibes again mostly in lowind.

R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am

We are discussing beginners who can not carve or turn yet, that was my point.

Of course when you have learned, kite up or down turns works easy and each has their own place when to be used, or just what one likes :thumb:

Am describing some of the differences especially for new riders trying to carve, and what they can expect will happen, till they have learned :naughty:

slowboat, I will answer you in a new thread :D

8) PF

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm

revhed wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

When you are up foiling, you will accelerate like crazy when you downloop the kite, and your arc while doing this will not be a curve - so what happens is your kite turns towards the new direction, you continue downwind - and in a few seconds you will find yourself with slack lines, kite dropping in the water maybe out to the other side :(

Even if you manage to make a full carve foiling and get to the new tack, you will lose ALL pull and drop down, as the kite has searched to the new edge and you lose all power.

8) PF
P F is going to think I read his posts looking for something to disagree with and must say this time it is for sure.
I only reply because many who read think he knows all, he does indeed know a lot but often states ideas that I must take issue with.
I, we kite down turn fully flying jibes say 80% of the time, and many sessions not even one up turn jibe is done.
We DO NOT "accelerate like crazy" , have "slack lines" "loose ALL pull" , "kite in water" or are "commited to a very limited power range".
Those reading this who have spent a fair amount of time KBHFing will know and understand that in fact down turns while doing a jibe using proper timing
can be much better and other than tacking and almost the only choice in ultra lite wind.
The fact is that gravity helps the kite when doing a down turn as opposed to hindering it when flying up.
So based on where in the window and the radius the kite down turn can pull for much less time with less power than an up, and inverse, pull for much longer with more power being a great aid in lowind.
I also must take issue with calling a down TURN a loop as the kite does NOT fully loop,
this must be stressed as one can do a FULL loop when doing jibes again mostly in lowind.

R H
Hi RH, your quote of PF is out of context. PF was answering a very specific question of mine....basically what happens when a beginner foiler tries to use the same technique as he would with carving a surfboard with downloop.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm
revhed wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF

R H
Hi RH, your quote of PF is out of context. PF was answering a very specific question of mine....basically what happens when a beginner foiler tries to use the same technique as he would with carving a surfboard with downloop.
If so excuse, my bad!
But after rereading post,s still fail to see it as out of context as relating to beginners, but P F made it clear in his latest post.
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”