Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drysuit or wetsuit if you anticipate a swim?!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drysuit or wetsuit if you anticipate a swim?!

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:39 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 am
foilonfoil wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:53 am
RadDrDuke wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 am
What are the neoprene sweat shirts you are referring to?
http://stores.wetsuit.com/exoskin-tops/ are an example and what I use.
I always have worried about compromised swimming ability wearing loose fitting garments such as those (or the ion neo jackets, or mystic jackets), is that not a problem? Especially seems dangerous in the surf...
They are stretchy so not an issue. I like mine.

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am

I have the gul one, http://www.gul.com/surf/mens/jackets/fl ... rene-hoody it has a slot for the harness and makes an amazing difference, espeically on long runs when you are out the water, I also wear it with a short john in the summer. The only pain is that if you need to paddle the board in its a bit of a faff to get the harness hook undone and out the way to lie on the board but otherwise love it, amazing what a difference it makes.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

I never liked it when it got cold with those over-tops. Admittedly my experience is with the Mystic ones but I found the slosh of cold water when moving through the water (say body dragging) cooled you down very quickly. That said. I guess you could take it off it you needed to swim in ...

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I barely notice mine and wear it loose actually over my impact vest as well. I do stuff the hood down the back because I don't like how it cuts peripheral vision and with it hanging it fills with water and sloshes.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:55 pm
They have quite some buoyancy indeed, a little bit more tiring because of the thickness yes, but not an issue IMO.

You are talking about a swim without your board I reckon - why ?

It would be much better to swim on your board, and here even a normal membrane drysuit works fine as you can swim/paddle when on your board.

But they are, as I've heard, not that good for longer swims in the water ?
Dont know if true or just a rumor, anyone got experience ?

Here most use these membrane drysuits, much lighter and faster to change and warmer - but when IN the water, the neoprene drysuits are better in each and every way I would say :D

Eventhough I can not see any difference between a neoprene drysuit and a really good thick neoprene wintersuit - they are both a hassle when changing, if freezing :roll:

But warm when in the water, and the best for swimming.

8) PF

Hmmm, just requoted again, as I still think it is apples and oranges compared and discussed in this thread, very confusing.

A neoprene drysuit is almost as a thick wetsuit and got nothing in common with the membrane types.

Neil, you started this thread asking about the neoprene one, but got a lot of answers on the membrane ones - often not even clear which type is meant in each post ?

So makes it really confusing...

And why are neoprene jackets discussed - and again, meant over a neoprene or a membrane drysuit also ???
These drysuits, both types, are really warm, so is it for even COLDER conditions, or ?

Sorry, it might only be me who are slow, or at least not sure what is meant here :wink:

8) PF

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I have an older Ocean Rodeo SurfDry. It is a drysuit covered in a 1mm wetsuit -- so the idea is to be dry underneath, but still be able to duck dive. Easier paddling. Also less likely to drown or die of hypothermia swimming in a plastic bag, if you happen to get a bad fin cut.

However, the negative of it is that the neoprene over top means the drysuit can't breathe, so trapped sweat makes your undergarments damp. This makes it no drier than a modern high quality surf wetsuit, with welded seams and fuzzy interior lining. With how stretchy modern neoprene is, I think drysuits are fading in popularity. Nice for flat water SUPing on a winter day though.

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 pm

I have the Ion Fuze neoprene drysuit. It does not get enough good press IMO. I kite year around in Boston and on the coldest days. It's the most comfortable, warmest thing I've ever worn. It fits well. You need decent fleece underneath for condensation (it's clammy on bare skin). It's so warm you don't want something to warm but the lightweight fleece makes it super comfortable. It's durable. I've been dragged through scrub and across dirt roads (that was 3 years ago) and I've never had an issue. I highly recommend it. The biggest issue is going back to a traditional wet suit in the spring because it's so comfortable. It doesn't swim like a traditional wetsuit but it works fine and doesn't balloon. The less urgency because it's so warm too. Cheers.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 am

Years ago we all used to wear Ocean Rodeo drysuits in the cold season around here, but I understand that our local shop has not sold one in several years. Virtually all of us wear wetsuits now. The new stretchy wetsuits are nice and comfortable and certainly much better in the water if you are swimming.
Personally I am very happy with my 4/3 Oneill psycho freak wetsuit.
I also wear an Oneill impact vest over my wetsuit and it is surprising how much extra warmth it provides. Or you can wear a polar fleece type shirt underneath your wetsuit to add warmth on the coldest days if needed.

:wink: CG

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:51 am

cglazier wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 am
Personally I am very happy with my 4/3 Oneill psycho freak wetsuit.
there's no way you can take a 4/3 down to 33 water 35 air (0 and 1C). Can you? I know the Canadians around here kite it when it's that cold

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:40 am

We have ocean water here which never gets much below 7 degrees c. The wind chill is what's cold.. I sometimes fall in purposely to warm up.
Two days ago we kited for a couple of hours in air temp of 6 degrees c and I felt warm in my 4/3 Oneill wetsuit.. I do wear a hood, booties and gloves.

We are in the mildest area in Canada (although there is snow on the ground here today). I have no expertise for really cold places.

:wink: CG
Vancouver, BC

Return to “Hydrofoil”