Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Do I bother to get a 60cm mast?

Postby Eltreato » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi All,

Despite having started foiling a couple years ago, I probably have 12 hours of foiling time under my belt. Part of the reason is because my main kite spots have depths below chest height most of the time, meaning I would need to bodydrag the better part of a kilometer to get to water deep enough for me with a standard mast. I am thinking I may add to my session count on mid tides with a 60cm mast, but am looking for feedback from those who have used masts this size. I am not interested in the short mast as a learning tool, it would surely be for shallower water. I would appreciate feedback from experienced foilers, is the short mast experience worth an additional $300 for a new another mast and collar?

Thanks!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Do I bother to get a 60cm mast?

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Sounds like you should try one. Stuff body dragging 1km before you can start.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 pm

I also have about 12 hours on a foil. I am still on the 60 cm mast from the hover glide flight school package. I have thought about going up to the next length mast, but the standup paddle foilers make it look so much fun on 60 cm, and I don't feel that the length is limiting me at all yet.

I don't know about $300, but if it gets you more sessions, what is that worth?

Also, how well does your foil handle breaching? Because you will end up touching the surface w the foil more often. The hoverglide handles this pretty well, but a 60cm mast would be less fun if your foil didn't like breaching...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 pm

YES, dragging so long puts you off hydrofoiling - we have one spot with same conditions, and we have all tried this spot once (sand so no risk), but it is a real turnoff and we all seek other spots and never return to this otherwise best TT spot with a good social atmosphere.

So if this is your local spot, get a 60 cm mast - you will love being able to foil all over and start much closer to shore.

There are hardly any waves I assume, when the depth is so low, so no problem riding with shorter masts IMO and experience, eventhough I personally would prefer longer ones but I have the luxury being able to choose between literally hundreds of different spots in the vicinity.

In real low onshore winds a 60 cm mast is in fact the ONLY way one can hydrofoil, so you will like having a short mast even if you move to another spot :D

Go for it :thumb:

8) PF

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 pm

It's a no brainer. Get it. I used a mast of that length when I first started and had a blast on it. I would've had no concerns about staying on it if I had shallow water. I assume you don't have big chop, so keeping the foil under water shouldn't be a big issue. You'll just ride lower than most. Maybe get a slightly bigger board than you would think to handle accidental touchdowns, which there will be more of since you are riding lower.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Definitely get one. I still use one most of the time due to shallow water and love it. I've learn't great pitch control due to the 60cm mast requiring it. The other day I managed my first foiling foot changes on the 60cm. It's also great for strapless riding.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Thanks guys, chops not too bad at my spot so it should be okay, though I do do my share of breaching now and then on a full length mast, I think that will become less frequent as I progress.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm

You should get one!
I often have 200m to walk or drag to reach good depth and plan to get a shorter mast to cut that distance in half (low tide) or eliminate it (high tide).
But about waves and shallow water, there is no perfect solution, sometimes I get waves about 30cm in water only 60-80cm out around my sandbars, meaning the depth in the trough in front of waves is less than 60cm. Still, a shorter mast at least helps somewhat.
Last edited by BWD on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wielandt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Wauw..Reading about your launching problems makes me see how fortunate I am !!! From my home a full view to the Baltic 150 m away. 200 m to a perfect grass meadow for launching and 35 m body dragging for prober water depth. Only downside is the winther temp. But hopefully no ice on the water this year....

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 am

I love mine and ride it more than full length. It's much more maneuverable and can start in thigh deep water. Tradeoff is that it's less forgiving and you can't crank over as hard for racing (which you obviously aren't trying to do with it).

Return to “Hydrofoil”