Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do I bother to get a 60cm mast?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do I bother to get a 60cm mast?

Postby Foil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

I do know one thing, using the short mast on the sup wave wing is more energetic, dynamic, turns are quick, much more so than when using my 101 mast, I do believe after loads more practice in conditions that will help me to improve, then this will be my direction (when conditions allow)otherwise the long mast with the sup wing will be my choice, annoying really as I have so many wings-the full set from Moses and more,there is a lot of cash been spent,on wings and stabilizers I may never put to use again.
but until you buy and try them you don't know, and you dont know what you don't try.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm
I do know one thing, using the short mast on the sup wave wing is more energetic, dynamic, turns are quick, much more so than when using my 101 mast, I do believe after loads more practice in conditions that will help me to improve, then this will be my direction (when conditions allow)otherwise the long mast with the sup wing will be my choice, annoying really as I have so many wings-the full set from Moses and more,there is a lot of cash been spent,on wings and stabilizers I may never put to use again.
but until you buy and try them you don't know, and you dont know what you don't try.
Maybe we should have a Moses wing loaner program? :-) Some guys have just ordered the complete 633 setup here so I hope to try before I buy.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Foil wrote:
I just recently switched from 60cm to 100cm. Wow what a huge difference especially with the impulse wings. Once I learn my jibes and tacks I will probably go back to the 60cm whenever conditions allow. Way more agile and responsive with the 60cm, I feel like the water is thicker when I’m using the 100cm mast.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm
Foil wrote:
I just recently switched from 60cm to 100cm. Wow what a huge difference especially with the impulse wings. Once I learn my jibes and tacks I will probably go back to the 60cm whenever conditions allow. Way more agile and responsive with the 60cm, I feel like the water is thicker when I’m using the 100cm mast.
Really interesting and surprising to me. I wish I could understand why a shorter mast feels more dynamic or lively to you guys.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 pm

The arc of every turn is quicker. Your swinging a shorter axe around down there.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

True :thumb:

A shorter mast means you got a shorter lever from the wings up to your center of mass, so yes it will be more lively indeed.

Say you got a 100 cm mast, and board 5 cm thick, and your center of mass is about 100 cm over the bottom of your feet typically.

This means the "lever" is 15 % shorter if you use a 70 cm instead of a 100 cm, thus a bit more agile indeed, although not as much as the difference in mast length :D

It might be me, but I find myself LESS agile on my short 83 cm mast, than the 91 and 100 cm ones :roll:

I know it sounds odd, but the thing is, when on the 83 I have to spend all my focus on NOT to go too high, thus I can not crank the the foil like with the longer ones, where I can lean hard into the turn (sometimes drag my hand in the water) in fact almost no matter how much chop there is.
Even worse, I dont wanna turn hard, mentally because I know I might ventilate :o

If you dont care about supershort touchdowns with the edge or corner of your board, I can see how shorter masts might work, but I have found the opposite as said, that I can NOT crank as hard with the shorter ones.
And I would simply HATE if I made an ever so slight water touch with any part of the board :cry:

So I have found that I can turn more radical with the longer ones, eventhough the lever of the shorter ones should give you a slight advantage in this very respect yes.

Or it could be me being too lousy at this, I know :wink:

Just a very different view than most maybe ?

It is ambiguous - the short ones has a bit more liveliness indeed, but you can not crank over as hard in turns on a wave (or flat water), besides having less safety margin of course.

8) PF

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 pm

"If you dont care about supershort touchdowns with the edge or corner of your board."
I think this is a key word.

I have not much experience but just from looking to SUP and Surf foiling videos they have a lot of supershort touchdowns and with board optimized to make touchdowns smooth so it doesnt disturb flow they dont care... Feel from shorter mast is closer to normal surfboard and rail to rail is quicker

And i think it will be new foils subtype of subtype. Something like this:

Short mast - SUP/SURF wing /so whole setup will be relatively slow with no drama touchdowns/, Board like - miniaturized Dave Kalama foil SUP/SURF - optimized to stay out of way in carve and make touchdowns as smooth as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzMyLIkdF8

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:20 am

Thats pretty sick with stubby little SUPs. The first time that has looked like its not completely handicapped by swing weight. Lotta bouncing. Glad I have a kite to do the work.

I hear what your saying too Peter. Can crank the foil over harder with a bit more strut. Will be interesting to see where it settles out.

I picked up a bigger wing over the winter and am psyched to get used to that. One change at a time.

Return to “Hydrofoil”