A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
francis luengo
Medium Poster
Gear: moses , cabrinha , ozone.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

how do you sand your wings...?

Postby francis luengo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm

I´m thinking of sanding my wings for better performance...
Please ...any tips?
:thumb:
Last edited by francis luengo on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: how dou you sand your wings...?

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Wet and dry, soft sanding block, 600 to 800 grit.

francis luengo
Medium Poster

Re: how do you sand your wings...?

Postby francis luengo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Any vids...?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsN-2T7zMLM

Same principle for wings. Fill then sand. I usually go 400/600/800/1200 if I'm going to a regatta, all wet sand.

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Postby plasma180 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm

:D :thumb: :idea: 8) :wink:
Thanks tons, gives me ultra fine tuning ideas to try on back up T bar to test then on main if works!
Had not seen this so again, Merci beaucoup!
R H

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm

I do wish that they had explained the rationale behind this set of instructions. Why vertical, 40 deg and 30 deg? What flow analysis is this based on and what advantages does it offer over other theories or ways that people prepare their foils? Has it got any followers amongst the race circuit (especially those at the top of fleet!)?
Please note I'm not aiming this at you Plasma 180 as messenger. But if something is presented as if it has a scientific background, then this sort of information would be associated with it.

riftboards
Rare Poster
Gear: Selfmade Boards
Kites from Flysurfer, Ozone, Cabrinha and North.

Postby riftboards » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi
I am the one who wrote this blog a view weeks ago.
This technique has some followers on the race cirquit and it is from a racer of the hydrofoil pro tour.
He is a friend of mine and I was super lucky to get this informations. He was testing over 30 different sanding techniques and this one was his last and best technique. If you have ever been on a race then you will know that sanding is a big seecret and all the riders still trying out to find the best solutions. There is a different between salt and freshwater and the water temperature. With this technique he had never some air ventilatons and higher top speed. A lot of people tryed it out yet and they said all the same to me.
I am not a scientist and i cant explain all the theories behind.
When you sand the mast 40° you wont have air ventilations anymore. That is just a fact.
And google vortex generators and you will find some informations about the vertical 1cm sanding to.
Please note: you will still have problems with youf foil when it has a lot of scratches, pinholes and demolitions. You need a proper foil and clean it with windowcleaner before your session. If you tuch your foil with your hands and have some suncream or anything similar on you hands you will habe roblems agsin. When you make your foil wet it it shouldnt have some dry spots where water pearls of.
Hope I could help and sorry if there are some writing mistskes. was in a hurry.
Have a nice day!

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and explaining that this is the result of 30 trials. I can understand need for lack of scratches, bumps and grease. Likewise the 0.5mm trailing edge with sharp corners & the sanding direction on the foil wings which seems fairly aligned to the flow. The vortex generator makes sense. I am struggling to see why 40 degrees for most of mast when the water flow doesn't seem to be in that direction. Also when mast is raked strongly to windward for racers it's very different flow conditions from those when the foil is more upright for cruising and fun riding. I'm also puzzled by the 30 degree region, how far in from the trailing edge should this be?
I recognise the need to finish the foil appropriately, but think that this may well depend on what foil will be used for. Given the expense of carbon foils and erosive nature of the sanding preparation, I'm keen to learn what is going on before committing to sanding mine in a way which will suit recreational riding.

francis luengo
Medium Poster

Postby francis luengo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 pm

riftboards wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm
Hi
I am the one who wrote this blog a view weeks ago.
This technique has some followers on the race cirquit and it is from a racer of the hydrofoil pro tour.
He is a friend of mine and I was super lucky to get this informations. He was testing over 30 different sanding techniques and this one was his last and best technique. If you have ever been on a race then you will know that sanding is a big seecret and all the riders still trying out to find the best solutions. There is a different between salt and freshwater and the water temperature. With this technique he had never some air ventilatons and higher top speed. A lot of people tryed it out yet and they said all the same to me.
I am not a scientist and i cant explain all the theories behind.
When you sand the mast 40° you wont have air ventilations anymore. That is just a fact.
And google vortex generators and you will find some informations about the vertical 1cm sanding to.
Please note: you will still have problems with youf foil when it has a lot of scratches, pinholes and demolitions. You need a proper foil and clean it with windowcleaner before your session. If you tuch your foil with your hands and have some suncream or anything similar on you hands you will habe roblems agsin. When you make your foil wet it it shouldnt have some dry spots where water pearls of.
Hope I could help and sorry if there are some writing mistskes. was in a hurry.
Have a nice day!
Thanks very much :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”