Medium Poster
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"full" lean vs. "kinked" lean

Postby joyrider1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Here some thoughts about the comments about the "lean": A lot of posts write about the leaning of the body. In KBHF I guess you all mean the complete leaning of you and your KBHF, maintaining an aligned position of you and the KBHF? We all try to avoid a kink (either at the feet or knees or hips or higher… ) in the sideways dimension, right? For example if we use the bigger kitepull to create more lean we tension our body in the way that the bigger kitepull does not only pull our upper body into the lean (and making a kink for example in the hips) but the complete body-KBHF alignment (Sidenote: Kinking in the front/ aft dimension we can control much better by changing simultaneously the pressure of front and back foot and hereby changing the AOA of the wings, I guess). Mistakes in a sideways kinking/lean of the body would make all the nastier crashes with the foil going sideways.
It didn`t seem to me that there was explicit differentiation between "full" lean and "kinked" lean?

So maybe a note to all the beginners: Try to keep a body-KBHF-alignment in sideways dimension at possibly all times, do not try to lean just your upper body (kink in the hips) into the turn.

Being more specific: I am referring to the average hydrofoiler. Not the pros that race at hell speed, they sure have special skills… But they too “lock” their COG of their body in alignment of the total body-foil-axis by having strong body tension on the straight run. And they too keep their COG in alignment with the strut/mast, no matter how crass maneuvers they do and how fast they change tack. Am I wrong here?
In contrary on a TT or SB you somewhat can have your COG out of balance for a moment and correct the balance a little bit later… TT and SB being way more forgiving here….

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: "full" lean vs. "kinked" lean

Postby juandesooka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:56 am

Seems to me stance can be about style points or maximizing effectiveness. Racers often seem to have a little of the poo stance, probably to help account for being massively over powered with huge kites for the conditions. There are no style points in a race ... fastest wins.

For beginners, a low centre of gravity can help: knees bent, hunched over, caveman stance....power through the variability until you get to know the beast. Then at some point, the learner needs to straighten up, lean back, and relax -- get the flow and learn to fly.

Much like surfing, the straight up relaxed stance is most stylish. Style goal: Heelside to toeside carve with speed, body fully extended, casually skimming your hand over the water through the turn.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:17 am

I was cranked right over today heelside dragging my hand in the water. I felt cool as f***. A basic move on a TT, but it's somewhat more challenging on the foil.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 am

plummet wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:17 am
I was cranked right over today heelside dragging my hand in the water. I felt cool as f***. A basic move on a TT, but it's somewhat more challenging on the foil.
Yeah!
Now try it toeside ... a lot of distance from way up there to way down there, a lot of commitment to leaning into that turn. :-)

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 am

I have the poo stance with straighter legs and vertical body... Riding long distances upwind I have recently moved to using more hip rotation to control board attitude and this seems to give me considerable stability in decent wind chop. Runs upwind of 10's of miles without tripping up.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 am

The more power and speed the more poo stance!

Return to “Hydrofoil”