diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alpine wave wing.

Postby diogovilla » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I own a Alpine carbon foil. I really love this foil, besides the fact that I have never tried anything else. After reading a lot about wave foiling, I thought I wanted to buy a wave dedicated foil. Luckly, I was advised by some forum members on buying the Alpine wave wing to use it with my current foil.

I am so in love with this wing. I don't know why there is so little information about this wing on this forum (am I wrong?). Comparing it with the XLP wing (which is the Alpine standard wing), the wave wing is more forgiving, easier on transitions and turns a LOT better. It is slower than the XLP, but doesn't feel slow to me.
I wonder why the wave wing is not being offered as the Alpine standard wing. Now my XLP wing (which I love too) is waiting marginal conditions to be used.

Maybe I will buy a wave foil someday. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying my Alpine wave wing. Thanks Peter Frank and Kykeon for the tip.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Alpine wave wing.

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm

So good to hear "love" stories like this :D

Indeed, I have it the same way - if marginal winds I use a really big and high AR wing, just like your XLP wing just even bigger.
When light winds and small kite, I might use a high AR medium sized fast wing.

But in ALL other conditions, I prefer the wave wings, both big and small ones, lower AR, fast turning, and amazing fun :naughty:

Good to hear you have found your "call" (for now).

Dont worry about other foils - the Alpine foil seems like an awesome well designed and well built foil :thumb:

(only thing I dont like is the sharp nose, but it can be sanded round)

8) PF

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm
But in ALL other conditions, I prefer the wave wings, both big and small ones, lower AR, fast turning, and amazing fun :naughty:
I really liked the difference from the high AR big wing to the medium AR wave wing. I'd like to try even lower AR wings when I have the opportunity.
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 pm
Dont worry about other foils - the Alpine foil seems like an awesome well designed and well built foil :thumb:

(only thing I dont like is the sharp nose, but it can be sanded round)

8) PF
That nose never hit me in 2 years.

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax

Postby wingnut » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 am

Awesome product line with the ability to use several different wings for different styles and mastheads to match most other boards. Well engineered design, seems like they have it all together. The new V3 rostrum (nose) is more rounded along with some other minor changes. In looking for a slower more maneuverable, freestyle, kind of foil and talking to locals that have the Wave wing I am sold. I have just ordered one in time for a trip to Baja. My newbie report will follow, stay tuned.

gwadael
Rare Poster
Local Beach: BRITTANY AND FRNECG WEST INDIES
Favorite Beaches: FRENCH WEST INDIES
Gear: FONE ALPINEFOIL SROKA FOIL NORTH

Postby gwadael » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi, I also own Alpine foil with carbon and alu mast + xlp and wave wing. i agree the wave wing is very stable but i'll say that the main différences are the following :
wave wing is faster thant xlp
xlp is a bit quicker to take off
I'm foiling in the caribean where i live and having choosen the wave wing was probably one of the best decision I made .
it's not a race wing but my last speed was 28 knts.....Nothing to complain about

diogovilla wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:02 pm
I own a Alpine carbon foil. I really love this foil, besides the fact that I have never tried anything else. After reading a lot about wave foiling, I thought I wanted to buy a wave dedicated foil. Luckly, I was advised by some forum members on buying the Alpine wave wing to use it with my current foil.

I am so in love with this wing. I don't know why there is so little information about this wing on this forum (am I wrong?). Comparing it with the XLP wing (which is the Alpine standard wing), the wave wing is more forgiving, easier on transitions and turns a LOT better. It is slower than the XLP, but doesn't feel slow to me.
I wonder why the wave wing is not being offered as the Alpine standard wing. Now my XLP wing (which I love too) is waiting marginal conditions to be used.

Maybe I will buy a wave foil someday. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying my Alpine wave wing. Thanks Peter Frank and Kykeon for the tip.

Return to “Hydrofoil”