Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

The slingshot loop.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am

Went out today reasonably powered, 15-20 on the 8m.

Was speeding around doing generally powered carving. I wondered what would happen if I threw a slingshot loop. I usually do them in the kite buggy and its sling shots you down wind at insane speeds.

So I chucked the loop at full speed and oh my fucking god. Insane down wind speed. Farken fark!!!! what a scary awesome feeling.

What you do is crank at full pace then without changing direct throw a downloop. Wang the kite right through the powerzone in the opposite direction. Hold your course and wait for the kite pull. When the kite is directly downwind of you it slingshots you downwind with stupid acceleration and speeds. As you wang down wind at warp factor 9 the kite wangs upwind further accelerating you, You have to then then loop the kite back in the direction you are going otherwise you will drive the kite right outside wind window.

The faster you go and the more upwind you are tracking before throwing the loop the more insane the slingshot down wind.

Ahhh. I'm still buzzing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The slingshot loop.

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

So true - really amazing to loop the kite, no matter which type, down and then up, while you accelerate like CRAZY !!!

And you can do it going downwind too, on purpose as many times as you like, where you get an even better deep downwind angle, and still experience these awesome slingshot powerspikes :naughty:

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: The slingshot loop.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 pm

I think this style of riding is going to be my jam foiling. Powered style speed carving and riding. Somewhere in between the slow speed tight turning small kite weilding strapless guy and the straighting upwind/downwind cranking racer.

I'm finding I'm choosing one kitesize down from the surface riders now where before I was 2 sizes down. By embracing the speed I'm easily holding more power.

Return to “Hydrofoil”