Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Freeride kite for hydrofoiling

Postby dericcio2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:56 am

Dear all ,
I did not found anything about this Thema. After learning foiling with a best kahoona 11.5 in wind range 10-15 knot I want a step ahead. kahoona worked well but the biggest problem is in the lull : it fall down. Compared to typical days with other kites 13 delta and some neos they were flying better. Since latest kites are light with three struts and reduced dacron I do not want to buy a kite specific for foiling. which is your experience using freeride kites 12-13sm in wind range 8-15 ?
Does Anybody use the following ?
Bandit 12 three struts dacron replaced by lighter material
Latest evo 2018 12-13 three struts but the most expensive
Zeeko 12 notus not expensive

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Re: Freeride kite for hydrofoiling

Postby DukeSilver » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 am

You are best off with a wave kite if you don't want a light foiling specific kite. You won't have much luck using the kites you want to buy below 10 kts. You drop them when foiling, you will be swimming in. This is where single or no strut kites have the advantage. I don't go out until it's 12 kts and then I use a 9m. I weigh 81kg. I've tried a 12m in 12kts but I was on the edge of being overpowered as soon as the wind picked up a few knots. A 12m inflatable has a VERY limited wind range for foiling IMO.

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wingnut » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Having used North Rebels 7,10,12 when learning to foil I have found a similar issue. They are great kites and likely some of the best for what they are designed. During this last summer however I used both the North Mono 10 (1 strut) and the Airush Ultra 15. In lighter conditions the light weight of these kites allow them to fly far better than a more heavily built similar sized 3 strut kite and their design generates more power at the low end and gives good steering in light air. Downlooping works extremely well to generate liftoff speeds and is linear and predictable. De-power seems to be better at the upper end as well as you pick up speed. I was very impressed with the Mono 10 as I was able to stay on the water when numerous 12m kites were falling out of the sky as the wind dropped down towards the end of a summer evening session. Using the Ultra 15 on a couple of occasions I was out riding with some friends who were all on foil kites like the Chrono and had no issues in 7-8 kn conditions.
You have to trade something off for these features though and I guess its a bit of upwind performance and possibly durability? There is no magic solution but I agree that the wave kites like the North Neo are likely a great compromise where you can get some good boosting performance along with good drift capability.

ps. Derriccio, how about putting a little more info in your profile? It would help people answer if they know more about your location, equipment and style. thx

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 pm

The 11.5m Kahoona delivered one of the worst foiling experiences for me. That kite is very good for twintip but sucks for foiling.
My best foiling was on Rally line of 2012. 8m/10m/12m. The 14m was too bulky to foil though it got me riding in some 6-7 knots easily.
The 2012 Rallys were a different animal compared to its later models. The Wave SST worked very similar to me with flying abilities just like 2012 Rally. I haven't justified buying a dedicated foiling kites quiver yet though.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 pm

If you want to get the most out of a light wind kite for freeride KBH take a look at the mid aspect foil kites. Lots of info here on KF.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:19 am

Zeeko Notus Air did you mean or Notus Rev

I know for a fact that the Notus Air 8m is as good as any wavekite on other than foil boards and on a foil in waves, well that’s it’s thing.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Dericcio2,
10-14 knots I am using a 2016 North mono 12. It's plenty powerful and flys great in light wind.
I have a quiver 7-9-12. Use them on Hf and surfboard and really happy with them. Durability is a potential issue.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 am

I use the RRD Passion MK9 kites for freeride on hydrofoil. They are hybrids between a freeride and a wave kite. Think about a REO with more power in the lower window side. They turn very fast, have a huge range of power, boost big in kiteloops but have almost no pull when parked high. They’ve a very strong built and looks beautiful.

8DE0983C-35C1-42A3-BA20-7D9215736BF9.jpeg
Last edited by f2020 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Dice 12
Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil

Postby dericcio2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for the answer, I have seen the Mono flying many times , and some videos too. The only concern is because the price and it will replace my bigger vegas, unique kite for TT and Hydrofoil. It means using it :
60% foiling
30% TT with chops until 20 knots
10% wave session till 20 knots
for this mixed use I was oriented to a Light 3 strut kite.

Cheers!
wingnut wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Having used North Rebels 7,10,12 when learning to foil I have found a similar issue. They are great kites and likely some of the best for what they are designed. During this last summer however I used both the North Mono 10 (1 strut) and the Airush Ultra 15. In lighter conditions the light weight of these kites allow them to fly far better than a more heavily built similar sized 3 strut kite and their design generates more power at the low end and gives good steering in light air. Downlooping works extremely well to generate liftoff speeds and is linear and predictable. De-power seems to be better at the upper end as well as you pick up speed. I was very impressed with the Mono 10 as I was able to stay on the water when numerous 12m kites were falling out of the sky as the wind dropped down towards the end of a summer evening session. Using the Ultra 15 on a couple of occasions I was out riding with some friends who were all on foil kites like the Chrono and had no issues in 7-8 kn conditions.
You have to trade something off for these features though and I guess its a bit of upwind performance and possibly durability? There is no magic solution but I agree that the wave kites like the North Neo are likely a great compromise where you can get some good boosting performance along with good drift capability.

ps. Derriccio, how about putting a little more info in your profile? It would help people answer if they know more about your location, equipment and style. thx

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Dice 12
Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil

Postby dericcio2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:06 am

I mean the Notus rev. I have seen many of them in France, but only in 7m...
Price is very interesting!

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:19 am
Zeeko Notus Air did you mean or Notus Rev

I know for a fact that the Notus Air 8m is as good as any wavekite on other than foil boards and on a foil in waves, well that’s it’s thing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”