neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

got a 5m, now how to fly it?!

Postby neilhapgood » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:08 pm

hi folks,

so I have picked up a cheap 5m but after any tips on flying a small kite! I find with the 7m that often when I dive it it generates a big surge then I let it fly too far forward to kill the power and I almost come off as the power drops to nothing then I dive it again and the cycle continues! Once I am up on the foil its OK, its just getting a smooth start I struggle with so thinking this will be worse with a 5m

any tips on how to fly small kites with more of a power on power off factor would be great!

thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: got a 5m, now how to fly it?!

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 pm

If you have issues with power on power off too much, try using longer lines - this will give you a smooth start !

I dont use shorter lines on my 5 and 3.5 m2 kites, because it will simply kill the dynamics, and the kite will be too much on/off all the time, and no fluid smooth carving left...

Others use shorter lines on smaller kites, I know, so individual - but it seems you have the exact same issues with medium (7 m2) and small kites, so just use std 26-27 m lines and you will be just fine now with a smooth start Neil :thumb:

The tricky part of smaller kites, if not used to these, is the depower stroke is ridiculously short, so you will either stall the kite, or you will depower too much so it races forward giving a powerspike, and then it is "dead" when at the side of the window :(
Time and time and time and you will get it - small and big kites DO NOT ride the same at all, and you have to learn this sensitive sheeting - but in time you will appreciate the liveliness and fast turning these kites got, and enjoy the optional powerspike "on demand" when needed.

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Take your 5m out in 18-20 knots and work the shit out of it. That's the key. Fly it up and down to keep a constant power going. Looping is your friend with small kites. If you go out underpowered you can loop at anytime at any place in the wind window without getting pulled off the board. Its a more active style of flying compared to bigger slower park and ride type kites. Once you get the handle of the jandle its so much more fun than flying slow lazy kites. You can put the kite where ever you want in the window and apply exactly how much power you want.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 pm

Plummet is spot on :thumb:

neilhapgood
Medium Poster

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 am

awesome thanks both, peter can give me a bit more info as to what the 'depower stroke' is, I have not heard this before, have looked online but can't find an explanation?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Depower stroke is bar travel sliding distance.

neilhapgood
Medium Poster

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:41 pm

great thanks dwight

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Tks Peter you are the man. Funny I always prefer my 7mtr kites on 24mtr lines to the back up bar with 21mtr lines now I know why. Happy to holidays to all!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”