A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Foiling on Kauai?

Postby RadDrDuke » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 am

I'm heading to Kauai in a couple weeks and bringing my gear, staying on the north shore.

All info seems to suggest the reefs are quite shallow and therefore not conducive to foiling. Anyone done any here or have any info?

Will also be on oahu for a bit and plan to foil kailua

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Re: Foiling on Kauai?

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm

To report back.
I just spent a week on kauai but didn't end up bringing my kite gear. It blew 20-25knots east EVERY day, which apparently is very rare.

We toured the whole island and drove around several days and not once did I see a single kite in the air! Literally not a single kite despite perfect conditions.

To answer my original question, the island is not very good for foiling because there is minimal sand bottom...it's mostly shallow reef and coral heads.

The kiting actually looked great, particularly at Kapa'a on the east side where there is a massive flatwater lagoon on the inside of the reef with waves on the outside and also at Tunnels where there is great waves on the outside. Anini was good too and fine for intermediates. No beginner spots on the island. Donkey beach had 8-10 foot surf and huge shorebreak so it would have been pretty rough getting out even for a skilled rider.

Otherwise the island is awesome and highly recommended.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

No windsurfers ?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm

You can always bodydrag out on Kauai. Certainly people kiting, you just have to know where to look. I think Anini is reasonable for beginners. Maybe not super beginners, but it is more sensitive to beginners. I've seen absolute beginners at Kapa'a...and as far my experience goes, the wind you experienced might not be that uncommon.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 am

Wind was almost due east last week, actually not a favored direction. The trades are typically more northeast. The more easterly direction is kiteable, but frequently creates a wind shadow near shore. You may not have visited the spots that are popular with locals. Foiling was not a thing the last time I was there, but I think your accessment is fair that the reefs are shallow. Of course with 25 knot wind, you could have rode a regular board. Kauai is a fun place to kite if you know what you are doing, a lot less crowds than Maui and often excellent conditions. I have had trips there when I kited every day and trips when I was only able to kite 1 day.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster

Postby RadDrDuke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Yeah, I was also on Oahu where the wind and conditions at Kailua were awesome.

It was just odd because conditions on the east side were excellent and I saw ZERO kites or windsurfers at all...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Yeah there are a few super hidden spots on Kauai. They are definitely fickle tho. East wind is good for Anini.

Return to “Hydrofoil”