naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby naishdude » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm

I think it is all about tensioning the body / muscles so every pull of the kite/wind gets towards the board to be turned into speed, same as with the racboards ( kite and windsurfing), the more you turn your torso upwind the better your angle upwind is and kept because of tensioning all the mucles,
On the other hand, bending the knees etc, will result in less transportation of power towards the board.
Secondly you can hold more power as you can lean more against the board anbd pushing more power with less (power) loss towards it.
See if people are pulling ropes they also put themselves more on their side...to have more bodytension and better weight balance to hold the forces or pull...
Its only my opinion/experience...
Dude

alexvych
Rare Poster
Local Beach: spain
Gear: ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alexvych » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am

f2020 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am
Because on an hydrofoil, the front leg acts as a spring that controls the horizontal level of the board.
pro-riders had same position on ol raceboard. is only about upwind angel.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:15 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 am
Maybe their legs and foot straps are just where they want them, but because of the relatively lower speeds going upwind they need less front foot pressure, so they lean their torsos back to compensate?
When going upwind on a long strut race foil, the board is leaned over 45 degrees or more. The kite is at a low angle to the water, so pulling mostly horizontal. Pushing on the on the back foot does more to turn the board upwind than it does to increase ride height.

Also at this angle, the riders weight is not lined up with the foil lift. Since the pull of the kite is from the hips, the hip position is more important than torso position.

I never really thought about it, but after drawing it out, it's crazy that we can ride like this at all! (back leg locked, kite as low as possible, board leaned over as far as possible) There are so many angles and variables and the kite force is constantly changing. Add in chop, and it seems impossible!
Attachments
forces.png

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:46 am

IMHO hip forward allows rider to keep his front leg more stright = less effort.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Apparently no consensus whatsoever about this he hee - a bit funny actually :rollgrin:

Some says it is for having more pressure on your front foot to keep the wing down.
Some says it is for having more pressure on your rear foot to keep the wing up (as you ride with lower speed upwind).
Some says it is for having your front foot straight to convert all gusts to upwind/speed.
Some says it is for having your rear foot straight, and flex on the front foot.
Some says it is for having both feet straight and locked, and twisting for upwind drive.

The only thing I think we all agree on, is that twisting your body (hip and or upper body) "upwind" drives as high upwind as possible.

Personally, I think the latter is the reason, namely like Dave says, locking both feet will make good riders able to convert every small and big gusts or windchanges to more speed or upwind angle, and twisting drives everything upwind :naughty:

8) PF

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wawando » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:14 am

I would go on the latter too. To really fly upwind stability is key so I would add that leaning forward (rather than leaning backward) allows for more liberty to correct/adjust position with minimum loss of momentum/off set from the “sweet spot”.

Return to “Hydrofoil”