Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One
Contact:

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby windmaker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm

With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8567
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm
With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

I dont think so, only if you got a bad adjusted foil (like many beginnerfoils are as easier for the very first rides), or a very different personal liking.

I really think most racers got their foils trimmed very neutral - as this will be easier to control at high speeds, and also have low drag.

Even IF it was the case, that you got a (IMO) misadjusted foil where you need more front foot pressure at higher speeds - then it does not explain why racers move the hip forwards, as on upwind courses they ride the slowest, compared to downwind so they would actually need more rear foot pressure then, going upwind :roll:


I agree and also think the reason is much simpler, two reasons for "twisting" the hip/body:

1. It is the natural way to "drive" upwind, turn your body and the rest will follow in optimal sync.
2. Racing, you also want to look upwind for the other guys/girls, or if in front, the mark or the wind shifts.

8) PF

User avatar
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and Board
Flysurfer Sonic2 9m,11m,15m,18m
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

It's also about locking your rear knee straight to make a direct coonnection with the board. Then the front leg is flexed to control ride height. Locking your rear leg straight puts your hips forward in the position shown.

I've noticed the biggest difference between me (mid fleet) and the top riders going upwind is when there is a shift or a gust. In a steady state our speeds are close, but when there is a shift or gust they turn it into board speed or heading changes instantly while I absorb the impact with my knees then readjust. Every shift and gust I lose a few meters.

When your rear leg is locked that extra power from a gust goes right into the board and foil. It takes some getting used to, and rear strap moves back to make it work. I'm still working on it.

User avatar
f2020
Medium Poster
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 am
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti
Taaroa Sword RS
Taaroa Sword2
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblade
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby f2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am

Because on an hydrofoil, the front leg acts as a spring that controls the horizontal level of the board.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby gbrungra » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 am

Maybe wrong question? Maybe their hips aren't forward. Maybe their torsos are leaned back.

Maybe their legs and foot straps are just where they want them, but because of the relatively lower speeds going upwind they need less front foot pressure, so they lean their torsos back to compensate?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One
Contact:

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm
windmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm
With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

I dont think so, only if you got a bad adjusted foil (like many beginnerfoils are as easier for the very first rides), or a very different personal liking.

I really think most racers got their foils trimmed very neutral - as this will be easier to control at high speeds, and also have low drag.

Even IF it was the case, that you got a (IMO) misadjusted foil where you need more front foot pressure at higher speeds - then it does not explain why racers move the hip forwards, as on upwind courses they ride the slowest, compared to downwind so they would actually need more rear foot pressure then, going upwind :roll:


I agree and also think the reason is much simpler, two reasons for "twisting" the hip/body:

1. It is the natural way to "drive" upwind, turn your body and the rest will follow in optimal sync.
2. Racing, you also want to look upwind for the other guys/girls, or if in front, the mark or the wind shifts.

8) PF
I challenge you to move your hips forward without shifting your weight!

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

windmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm
windmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm
With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

I dont think so, only if you got a bad adjusted foil (like many beginnerfoils are as easier for the very first rides), or a very different personal liking.

I really think most racers got their foils trimmed very neutral - as this will be easier to control at high speeds, and also have low drag.

Even IF it was the case, that you got a (IMO) misadjusted foil where you need more front foot pressure at higher speeds - then it does not explain why racers move the hip forwards, as on upwind courses they ride the slowest, compared to downwind so they would actually need more rear foot pressure then, going upwind :roll:


I agree and also think the reason is much simpler, two reasons for "twisting" the hip/body:

1. It is the natural way to "drive" upwind, turn your body and the rest will follow in optimal sync.
2. Racing, you also want to look upwind for the other guys/girls, or if in front, the mark or the wind shifts.

8) PF
I challenge you to move your hips forward without shifting your weight!
If you're just moving your feet forward, you're giving up control IMO.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3327
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby BWD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Science: it's because racing kite hydrofoils causes previously silent windsurfing genes to be expressed ;)

francis luengo
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:21 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: best , rrd , north
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby francis luengo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 pm

BWD wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm
Science: it's because racing kite hydrofoils causes previously silent windsurfing genes to be expressed ;)
:lol2:

francis luengo
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:21 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: best , rrd , north
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby francis luengo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 pm

first race rule :
the more you move your hips forwards , the more you go upwind.
:thumb:


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests